VM22 / Mikuni users With choke on what is your RPM approximately?

VM22 / Mikuni users

For those of you that have a tach

With choke on what is your RPM approximately?

My bike with choke on turns like 2600-2700 and wants to pull away unless I’m sitting on it. Choke off It idles fairly stable at 1400RPM.

Is this 1200+ difference normal? Also how long are you guys leaving choke on? 5 seconds, 15 seconds, etc?

The idle air fuel mixture screw at 1-1/2 to 2 1/2 will not idle off choke no matter where I put the side idle screw. About 3 turns out is the minimum it seems to want to run off choke. Additionally it seems like idle air mixture with choke on does not impact rpm’s at all from 0 to 4 full turns out.

mustangfrank

Your "choke" RPM rise/difference is about right. It's not a choke in the conventional thinking, I believe the best description is "fuel enrichment circuit". I only use it for as long as it takes to start when the engine is cold, RPMs start to rise and when I take it off choke it idles...usually 10-20 seconds maybe.

The Mikuni factory manual is a great resource but I like this little brief tuning guide for it's simplicity...

Attachments

I have the same issue bike will take off with enrichment all the way on. If you understand how they work it helps but my solution is push lever half way on which covers the enrichment hole up around half way cutting the idle speed below 2000 rpm.

I spent about an hour tuning it today. Ran it for about 15 minutes to get it hot around the block a couple times. This air fuel mixture screw from fully seated to 5 turns out makes zero difference whatsoever. I’m going to call EC tomorrow and see what’s up with this blueprinted 26mm WC round slide carb