Want to learn how to Weld

LIVIT

Go to harbor freight and buy one that you can afford and a self shielding lid. Then watch tons and. Tons of YouTube vids when your board and when you got some free time go out side and practice. There's a bunch of amazing videos on YouTube that can help you learn. That's how I learned. It's really actually easy to do. Depending on what your welding and what your welding with. If your on a budget just get a flux core welder you can even find them for 100$ on market place. On Facebook. But make sure it works and everything is there.
I got lucky, I restored a mini for my neighbors son. He owns a fabrication shop and has been teaching me to weld on weekends when he has the time. I now sure wish I had learned long time ago. Not as hard as I had thought.
I really appreciate all the great advice you and others gave me.

bruces

20 years ago I bought two transport loads of Miller welders that were used at SEMA ,they were used for demo’s ,and welding classes .Most had a few minutes of use ,some no use at all ,and all of them were literally tossed onto pallets with zero care .They could not be sold to the US ,but I am a Canadian so I bought them cheap ,about $2000.00 total delivered to Buffalo .Anyways ,I sold them mostly one by one locally ,most had zero issues but probably 2 dozen needed some tlc before I would sell them .Anyways ,my son was 10 at the time ,I showed him how to weld with the little migs and he did very well straight out of the gate .Anyways ,some of the older gentleman called me up complaining the mig they bought was no good ,didn’t work etc. which I believed to be false as I literally tested each and every one of them before selling them ,and showed the customer them working at time of purchase .So when I would get the call from the complainers ,I would load my kid up ,another welder just in case ,and go see the guy .I found zero with issues ,other than the operator didn’t know what he was doing or some had small extension cords .I told the gentleman ,I bet my son could weld just fine with the welder and each of them took the bait .My son had no problem welding a nice bead ,and I collected $50.00 for them wasting my time (yes it all went to my son ) .Point is ,it’s not hard to use a mig welder ,easy enough for a 10 year old to pick up very descently in an evening .From there ,stick is an easy step right up to tig which is a little more involved .

I learned stick in high school. I remember when the school got a fancy new-fangled wire feed welder that they called a "Heli-Arc". I never touched it. The instructors were trying to figure it out for the last year I was there. I got comfortable welding with a torch long before I ever saw a MIG.

I have a hf titanium 125 that I’m in the process of trying to learn how to weld with. This thread has been very helpful, Thanks to all! And @toomanytoys is right about using a quality wire. I switched to Lincoln wire and it made a huge difference.