Wanted Briggs & Stratton 8hp flathead

I am looking for a flathead 8hp Briggs motor.

8hp with 1 inch shaft. Shaft must be at least 2 3/4 inches long. Or provide me a model number and type to see if I can find a shaft to swap in.

Cases should be smooth without studs sticking out, most I/C series engines will NOT fit in this application as there are external studs sticking out on the cases that get in the way of my clutch I want to use. It is best if there is no "collar" portion on the shaft, if you know what I mean. A picture of the style of engine I'm looking for is below.

Please make me an offer by Private Message.

This is going onto a Tote Gote 670 as the original Tecumseh 6hp is missing.

Not my engines, but what I'm looking for:

IMG_2236.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 9.20.52 AM.png

Davis

That motor doggie has would work assuming you have the Briggs motor plate and not the Tecumseh as it is taller and won't clear the motor and even if you do the motor with the collar will not work as the clutch runs backwards on a nova and you'd be a inch past center on the clutch.

That motor doggie has would work assuming you have the Briggs motor plate and not the Tecumseh as it is taller and won't clear the motor and even if you do the motor with the collar will not work as the clutch runs backwards on a nova and you'd be a inch past center on the clutch.
This got me thinking, so I compared the engine mounting plate off the roller Gote I'm restoring - to my other 675 Gote with the 6hp Briggs. I noticed the holes were way off length-wise on the rollers engine plate, there is no way a 8hp Briggs would line up. :hammer:

I actually had a 3.5hp Tecumseh lying around, and noticed it lined up perfectly :eek:hmy:

If I get a H60 Tecumseh, will the clutch lineup with the mounting holes that I have? I beleive the mounting holes were the same dimensions for all Tecumseh's 3-8hp, unlike Briggs motors.

The shaft is way too small on the 3.5 of course, and motor is under-powered for that big hunk of metal of course, but made me wonder: What engine will fit in this bike, WITH all the original hi/lo plunger assembly and such??

I have seen people put a 5.2hp GS190 Honda in a 670 in one, that still seems really small to me. I was aiming for the 7hp+ range. And I would really prefer something American for the Gote, as it is a rolling piece of Americana.

I might possibly have to drill some new mounting holes in the future.

The dimensions in there are fairly tight for mounting an engine on this bike, with the hi/lo plunger assembly and the motor mounts in the way mostly.

And a big Thank You to all who replied with your great Briggs 8hp and 6hp motors - Cherish those motors for me for now while I work on finding a way to get this Gote back on the trails. Those motors are becoming hard to find.

Last edited: