Wants to lurch at idle

I’m new. Love my new Coleman ct200u, did a little mud riding for the first time today. By the end of the ride I noticed she wanted to keep cruising while I was just at idle. Like I had to hold the brake to stop. I bought two of these machines one for myself and my wife. It’s a new hobby. I will be swapping the jack shaft for a go power sports torque converter, but I was hoping to have fun a while stock. Basically so my lady and myself truly appreciate the added boost of the future mods. This is a new hobby. I’m hooked. I like the simplicity off these machines. I like tinkering. Whe does she wanna go when I wanna stop? Is the mud a factor? I washed her pretty good, still does it. The drive chain is pretty loose, more so now after being broken in. What’s the fix? Tighten the chain? Which I will probably do anyway, lube the clutch? Help please?!

In addition to adding a couple drops of motor oil to the bronze bearing, (it will be hard to get to) ensure that the idle RPM is low enough to not engage the clutch. In their stock form, they engage at just above idle, so any creep of the idle adjustment (NOT THE MIXTURE) will cause this creep.

You get cheap chain with these things, and the first thing it does is stretches. Generally after that, it stops stretching. Go ahead and adjust it and use a wax type lube on the chain. Keep that lube off of your clutch. When you oil your clutch bushing, it is the bushing ONLY that gets oil. Getting oil anywhere else will cause the clutch to slip forever.

Got it! I’ll check it out tonight, u guys are great, wax lube after tightening the chain. Oil the bearing only, gotchya. Not the shoes inside that clutch. Then try turning down the idle a touch. All good suggestions. I’m thinking I just kinda got her broke in now she wants me to kinda do a 4 hr maintenance on her. I’ll let u guys know how she’s doin. I do construction, so this is the start of my busy season. I’m truly looking forward to this new hobby. I’ve been watoredbeards garage, cars and cameras on you tube, and pretty much anything that has to do with these bikes. It took everything in me not to pull the motor the first day I got it,, lol . Like I said wanted to get into this hobby slow, experience stock, first. Even at 19 mph. Cruising around today, I loved it. Thank u all for the helpful tips. I’ll keep I posted

old shed finds

I’m new. Love my new Coleman ct200u, did a little mud riding for the first time today. By the end of the ride I noticed she wanted to keep cruising while I was just at idle. Like I had to hold the brake to stop. I bought two of these machines one for myself and my wife. It’s a new hobby. I will be swapping the jack shaft for a go power sports torque converter, but I was hoping to have fun a while stock. Basically so my lady and myself truly appreciate the added boost of the future mods. This is a new hobby. I’m hooked. I like the simplicity off these machines. I like tinkering. Whe does she wanna go when I wanna stop? Is the mud a factor? I washed her pretty good, still does it. The drive chain is pretty loose, more so now after being broken in. What’s the fix? Tighten the chain? Which I will probably do anyway, lube the clutch? Help please?!
Hello ..
I'm going for advice to you on my experience with these bikes .
Through the years we had 4 of them....
I would bet and will bet that the spring in your clutch has been heated up too much lost tension so your clutch shoes are wanting to grip and make you go at idle...
All of mine and my latest Facebook Gem did your same thing..
Hillard or a same quality clutch solved the grabbing on mine....
Clutch spring is shot...

Just a word of advice that go power sports torque convertor kit is way over priced. A 60 dollar one off Amazon is the exact same thing. Some 1x2 angle and a few bolts will get you the same thing for about 75 dollars.
Ok Thank, I was having trouble finding a kit on Amazon with the 5/8, the one that said it would work with th 5/8 had comments saying it was actually 3/4 when it showed up. If u can link me to a Amazon one that will work that would be great. It just seems so very specific go power sports. I did notice it was much higher priced than other ones I was finding on eBay or Amazon. But I felt like it wouldn’t guarantee me it would work with the 5/8 they all pretty much said only 3/4.

Hello ..
I'm going for advice to you on my experience with these bikes .
Through the years we had 4 of them....
I would bet and will bet that the spring in your clutch has been heated up too much lost tension so your clutch shoes are wanting to grip and make you go at idle...
All of mine and my latest Facebook Gem did your same thing..
Hillard or a same quality clutch solved the grabbing on mine....
Clutch spring is shot...
Interesting possibility. I just was questioning the fact the clutch was shot because it was so new. I haven’t gotten a chance to play with it this week going to fuss around with it on Friday night. Obviously I will tighten up my chain and oil the bearing on the clutch hopefully that will do the trick possibly lower the idle a touch. If all those things don’t work that you guys have suggested I then will except the possibility the clutch is shot. Then I will be in search for a torque converter that will except a 5/8 drive shaft

toomanytoys

Ok Thank, I was having trouble finding a kit on Amazon with the 5/8, the one that said it would work with th 5/8 had comments saying it was actually 3/4 when it showed up. If u can link me to a Amazon one that will work that would be great. It just seems so very specific go power sports. I did notice it was much higher priced than other ones I was finding on eBay or Amazon. But I felt like it wouldn’t guarantee me it would work with the 5/8 they all pretty much said only 3/4.
I forgot about the 5/8. It’s actually metric 16mm.

I changed cranks in mine. Crank was 30 dollars off Amazon as well. You are still saving almost a 100 bucks over the go power sports one.

Crank takes about 15 minutes to change.

I forgot about the 5/8. It’s actually metric 16mm.

I changed cranks in mine. Crank was 30 dollars off Amazon as well. You are still saving almost a 100 bucks over the go power sports one.

Crank takes about 15 minutes to change.
Ok I was thinking about doing that or wondering if there was some type of an adapter. So then I was just like by the time I’m done playing around and trying to make Amazon torque converter work, I should just go with the go Powersports. How complicated is it to swap crankshaft?. Then I thought if I have to pull the cover. I might as well start modifying the engine. I guess what I’m saying is, I wanna try enjoying it stock a while before I build this thing.. hopefully I just have to lube the clutch bearing for now, based on what some members have said, that might be the case for the creeping at idle issue. It’s really only had about 4 hours on the stock clutch, I can’t imagine I fried the shoes already.

Tarslave Sir: you have a dilemma that is easily solved by the Rabbit Hole in Car Three @desert rat if you have one minibike there are more on the horizon just lookin for a good home... once bit it quickly turns into a habit or is that an addiction??? Hmmm... thots to Ponder Sir.

Many good suggestions here to fix the issue once found. Springs are cheap (relative). Torque Converters can be very reasonable as @toomanytoys referenced on Amazon/FleaBay

I found early on it's much more fun to Ride one, build the other... the the Rabbit Hole in Car Three sucks you in an they start to multiply(like Rabbits) not to mention they throw Karts in on top of you! Oooh yeah don't forget the Electric Minibikes too...

Welcome to the Madness Sir.

Jus my $.02.5 cents (inflation ya know) IMHO

Tarslave Sir: you have a dilemma that is easily solved by the Rabbit Hole in Car Three @desert rat if you have one minibike there are more on the horizon just lookin for a good home... once bit it quickly turns into a habit or is that an addiction??? Hmmm... thots to Ponder Sir.

Many good suggestions here to fix the issue once found. Springs are cheap (relative). Torque Converters can be very reasonable as @toomanytoys referenced on Amazon/FleaBay

I found early on it's much more fun to Ride one, build the other... the the Rabbit Hole in Car Three sucks you in an they start to multiply(like Rabbits) not to mention they throw Karts in on top of you! Oooh yeah don't forget the Electric Minibikes too...

Welcome to the Madness Sir.

Jus my $.02.5 cents (inflation ya know) IMHO
Love your comment. I totally agree. I can already tell I’m going to enjoy this. Love tinkering with things. I do construction in the northeast so there are parts of the season where I am not busy. My kids are older also I have been looking for a hobby. Every day I look forward to going home and running my dog around as I rip around the yard on this little CT 200 U. My fiancé has one also. We bought two of them. I want to get two more lol to do exactly like you said. Build one ride one. I want to thank you guys for all the help and welcoming me into this obsession LOL. Already I can’t seem to get enough. I love watching cars and cameras on YouTube and read beard’s garage. I’m already obsessed

You can adapt a 3/4" Torque Converter to your 5/8" Engine Shaft with one of these Adaptors found on ebay:
"Shaft Adapter Pulley Bore Reducer Sleeve Bushing Sheave & Key 5/8" x 3/4" x 3"

Ok.. oiled up the shaft.. she’s better. But still is like slipping in and out of it’s creepy behavior.. I think I burned up the centrifugal clutch.. is that even possible? She’s only like a month old. I was on a slow ride before this all started. I’m probably getting a torque converter sooner than I thought.. depending on what u guys say. Is my clutch shot already? With repeated oiling and driving it, will it come around.. it’s weird cuz it’s better than it was after oiling. I’m I getting the oil in there right. I’m dripping it with a needle dropper on both sides of the snap ring. I dunno

During that low speed ride the clutch was probably slipping and got the springs so hot that they lost their temper. That's why your problem started after the low speed ride. A torque converter would probably be your best option for all around use.

A torque converter will give you the same top speed, some of them can even provide 10% overdrive when it's appropriate. Your real benefit is the 2:1 reduction at low speeds, that's double torque and the drive belt will tolerate slipping without destroying itself. I feel you will be very pleased with the difference a torque converter makes.

toomanytoys

I ended up a bit faster with the TAV. With the stock 196 and the TAV it pushed me to about 30mph. It would wheelie off the line if you want it to and felt so much more fun than all stock.

Switching to the tillotson with the higher rpm and stage 1 parts I get mid 40s on 10/60 gearing.