Wardog's Balloon Tire Scratch Build - Anything Goes

Made a little progress on the front fork. Definitely needs a brace and some gusseting....... I'm constantly torn between strength and light weight. :confused:

If it were me I would run a conventional style fork do to the leverage of the wide wheel and weight of the tire.

That said if I had to run it as a single side fork I would bend the down tube and run it as far into the wheel as possible. The closer you can get the fork leg to the center of the wheel and the shorter the bolt, the less the leverage will influence the bolt. It shouldn't be any heavier either way. Just stronger.

Doug

That's an interesting concept and something I will subscribe to. If this was something I was attempting, I might try and get that front fork to bend inside the wheel and double as an axle or have a hub mounted directly to the fork. There are bearings that will accept 1 inch tube but looks like your using 3/4 pipe which would be slightly oversized. Keep up the great work!:thumbsup:

Thanks. I've been playing with different tanks..... tough decisions. I might order a little teardrop tank for bicycle conversions. And I'm leaning towards a WW2 Luftwaffe grey paint scheme.

Why not make the frame the tank??? You would have to run a fuel pump to pull it from the bottom but that shouldn't be an issue. It would keep it clean.

Doug

I like the fat honda tank like the one on your other bike. It could be a little smaller or use a bigger seat. Small tanks will look funny i think but its hard to tell without the engine and everything on it

Why not make the frame the tank??? You would have to run a fuel pump to pull it from the bottom but that shouldn't be an issue. It would keep it clean.

Doug
Awesome idea! I would totally do it..... already have a fuel pump, but I did a little math and the capacity is less than .25 gal. It would make a sweet reserve tank though.

I like the fat honda tank like the one on your other bike. It could be a little smaller or use a bigger seat. Small tanks will look funny i think but its hard to tell without the engine and everything on it
I'm not sure what tank I will end up using, just throwing around ideas at this point.

T-Town Mini

I like the big tank to go along with those big tires. It keeps the look of the bike in proportion. :thumbsup:
Maybe mount it a tad bit higher where the bottom edge of the tank is in line with the bottom edge of the frame.

red baron

I just caught up on this build, wow that's awesome! I vote for the fat tank. Big tires, big frame you cant put a little tank on it. Your going to have to seriously gear that motor down. I put one on my mini bike and I had to duck paddle it to take off.