Wardog's Balloon Tire Scratch Build - Anything Goes

That's an awesome tank but for the build off I would have went with the frame tank. .25 of a gallon is more than enough to make the video and then you have the option of the jerry can. But what an awesome bike you are building. I don't even think of this stuff when some one says build a mini bike.

DaddyJohn

I posted a thread about building a fat tire full-size "mini", and am following this thread with great interest!

I like the simplicity of the spine frame, and think that's a great option for quicker and more efficient building.
It would seem to avoid the need for mirroring your frame spars, which could get time consuming in terms of fabrication and fitment. If you don't mind asking, where did you source your tubing? Is it new stock, or sourced from scrap (scaffolding, etc.)?

If I could find a used ATC front-end and frame neck, that could simplify my build and get me in the neighborhood of where you're going. I really like the single-sided look, though share concerns about getting the axle carriers strong enough to resist axial loading (I weigh over 200lbs, so that doesn't help, lol...). Not that I don't think you'll have it sorted, just trying to think of ways to make my first mini build easier... Would like the fact a front brake, hub, wheel, etc. would already be on an ATC unit as well...

Anyway, looking forward to your next steps!

Wardog, you are truly thinking "outside the box" on this build. The Rokon boys are probably watching your every move. I'm liking your creativity sir.:thumbsup:

Thanks everybody for the support.

DaddyJohn, the tubing is all a mix of 1/2", 3/4", 1" and 1 1/4" sch 40 pipe. It is dirt cheap at the local steel yard, but Home Depot/Lowes carry it also.

I got the jackshaft mount mocked up and realized one of the chains on the 2 speed setup is loose while the other is tight. I thought that having an odd numner of total teeth per chain would make it work, but it is off a little bit. Low gear is an 11 tooth clutch to a 24 tooth sprocket, high gear is a 9 tooth sprocket to a 12 tooth clutch. I need to figure out a clutch/sprocket combo that works lengthwise..... the only other option I can think of is an idler on a the loose chain, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

delray

kind of looks like you will need a idler. also are going to run a higher stall speed in your secondary clutch seup? if there are max clutch's you can get different stall springs....:thumbsup: