Watch this motor fetch an astronomical price !!!!!!!!

The last NOS Tec. did, I forget how much but is was crazy $ ! If I had the $ I would pay a bunch for the right motor if I had a nice minibike that needed it to look period correct though! I think a member here got it if I'm not mistaken!

I've also got two of those NOS:thumbsup:

That engine on eBay is a BELSAW engine.

BELSAW is like a vocational school that gives a student a motor to tear down and see how they work. Look at the pictures, it looks like that motor has been apart.

When I was in high school we had a similar class, we were given a Briggs to tear down and reassemble, then we had to start it and make sure it worked.

I recently scored four NOS Briggs 3hp motors from the local high school, and they were all brand new, but taken apart and (poorly) put back together. :doah: These never ran. Connecting rods backwards, busted bolts in the block, ALL of the pistons and rings are junk, I don't think they had a ring compressor and just beat the pistons into the blocks. The float style carbs were all messed with too, clocked wrong, missing parts etc. A couple of the coils were mounted backwards, they used the sump cover bolts in the rods, the list goes on and on. Basically these motors I got were just good for some parts, even though they were essentially brand new.

I would be real careful shelling out anything for that one on ebay, could be a BIG gamble. Especially considering what the last two sold for.

kbs8ball

Those are THE BEST minibike motors out there IMO but to me NEW in the box means still bolted to the wood base it came on, not taken apart by amatuers.

I have one of the Belsaw 4 Hp motors and it was in the original box still bolted to the wood base. I don't think it was ever taken apart. My motor is like George3's motor the exhaust is not painted and the holes for the exhaust out of the muffler go out the back of the muffler unlike the one on e-bay that goes out the side. What project is worthy of this NOS motor?
And the purest here knock the fact that it has the newer style blower shroud, but there is just no pleasing some of the members who have to dot all the I's and cross all the T's
Steve :scooter:

yup, thats a nice one all right!!!!! i bet it goes at least $500.
:eek:hmy: The thing is late 80's iron flywheel, wrong shroud, wrong everything really.... If someone pays 500 for that motor they are not real bright I would say. :doah: You can get the RIGHT motor with 3 inch crank, tilted intake, mini bike air filter and a lighting coil for less than that.. maybe not brand new but good lord you can buy one and rebuild it for less than 500. :rolleyes: People are goofy.. There was a late 70's briggs 3 horse with basic rebuild and nice paint job that went for hundreds like that too not long ago. Like 500 or 600 dollars.. Makes ya want to slap someone I swear... I should start rebuilding these 60 motors I have and be an Evilbay Pawnstar too.. :doah:

If you read his add he said he took off the cover to check the ignition on it. I think the motor is correct for its age, I have a slightly earlier Tecumseh HS40 in the Grey color were the muffler was painted the same as engine. The Iron flywheel was on most the Tecumseh engines after the minibike Hayday time period was over. None of my 80's and up HS motors have aluminum flywheels on them.

When describing motors on ebay or craig's list he words NOS, NIB, Mint, etc. don't mean shit. People who use those words also use phrases like, trust me, or I swear on my mothers grave. Mint is for coins and not motors. NIB means "I shrink wrapped it". And NOS is meaningless unless you can find a dealer who went out of business 40 years ago and has an attic full of motors still bolted to shipping pallets, and the boxes have not been opened "for inspection" wink, wink and re-stapled. Personally, I buy nothing but used Briggs & Strattons. That way they can be stripped down to the last detail, bead blasted, and all new bearings, rods, pistons, etc. can be installed. Then for $500.00 you know that you have a motor that is as close to factory original as you're going to get. Not something that looks good because some con artist knew how to use a can of spray paint. Ogy.

delray

i think if i was selling that on ebay i wouldn't call that vintage minibike engine. it would make a good replacement engine with all correct hookups. a true vintage engine would have a different recoil and throttle cable unit hookup and a solid air cleaner without the holes and the color is wrong:doah:
did anybody build a minibike in 1988 with that style motor:shrug:(grey/silver)
murray bike would maybe the closes bike i can think of and that was black?