Water In Basement Aghhhhhh

pomfish

If you don't own any now, please go out and buy some leak detectors so you are not like stupid me who did not know his sump pump was jammed up with something and therefore had water coming in.
Wife found it last night about 9pm.
3 inches standing water, just enough to find every Cheewy and Amazon box that we saved and make a hell of a mess.
Was planning a nice relaxing evening after mowing the lawn, But NOOOOOOO@
Keith ends up getting the Wet/Dry shop vac and brooms and fans and all kinds of fun sheeet until 1am.

3 fans later and it is drying up decent.
Needless to say water leak detectors would have alerted us to this before it became an issue.
Guess who just ordered them?
Later!
Keith

mustangfrank

I feel your pain, I've cleaned up basement floods from just an annoying float switch hang-up on the side of the pit. I always install the slider type now and water backup sump pumps.

olddog

If you don't own any now, please go out and buy some leak detectors so you are not like stupid me who did not know his sump pump was jammed up with something and therefore had water coming in.
Wife found it last night about 9pm.
3 inches standing water, just enough to find every Cheewy and Amazon box that we saved and make a hell of a mess.
Was planning a nice relaxing evening after mowing the lawn, But NOOOOOOO@
Keith ends up getting the Wet/Dry shop vac and brooms and fans and all kinds of fun sheeet until 1am.

3 fans later and it is drying up decent.
Needless to say water leak detectors would have alerted us to this before it became an issue.
Guess who just ordered them?
Later!
Keith
Great advice.

I know the feeling...it happened to me, luckily I had everything on pallets so there wasn't much damage.
The shop-vac was so heavy it crushed the wheels, I needed to replace.

toomanytoys

My basement always gets wet during a hard rain. Nothing sits on the floor. I have one room that is a foot higher than the rest of the basement. That's my work shop and gaming PC room. Rest of the basement is just a basement.

wjustice

I know it isn't cheap ($150) but I started using Pumpspy Smart Outlet. It comes with a high water alarm. It connects to your wifi and has an app that you can see how often it is running, etc. They say not to but I have 2 pumps connected to it and can see both run times. They run different amounts so I can tell which is which.

Murphys Law

Sorry op that's a drag. I recently had a supply line on my water heater give up the ghost at around 4am. last month. Not only did I get to clean my basement and toss boxes as well, I had to deal with the soaking wet fiberglass insulation which I opted to cut out to avoid any mold issues. There wasn't enough Folgers in the world that day haha.

I was getting ready for bed sat down at the kitchen table for some ice cream and started hearing some water spraying and dripping only it wasnt raining out. It was the sink supply line! Super lucky I caught that with only puddle it could have been real bad

pomfish

AGAIN!

5 inches and still coming, Sump pump cannot keep up with water all around foundation, just disgusted!
Leak detectors worked great telling me that I'm EFFED by IDA,
FFFFFFFFAAAAQ IDA!!

pomfish

I don’t want to come off as a whiner, as I know many others have it much worse.
Just that having been a child during Agnes 1972 and being displaced for 8 months while house rebuilt and then again by some other POS storm in 1976 with just enough water on 1st floor to totally trash all the work in 1972 pretty much has damaged me psychologically because of flooding at that point.
Where I now reside for the last 23 years I am forced to purchase flood insurance that you can never really make a claim on unless your foundation gives way or house gets destroyed. And $10,000 deductible. My as well get the money out of your wallet and set it on fire because you are never going to get a claim, Legalized Extortion is what I call it.
Flood map literally starts at my corner, so person across the street, No flood ins! Love my Government:)
Normal times the small creek next to me is ankle deep. The creek did not jump the road this time, it was just an accumulation of ground water coming down off the hills into already saturated ground that made water come in all around foundation faster than the sump pump can deal with. Even if I had another sump it probably would not keep up.
Once it slows the sump will do it’s job and then we are left with the fun part of wet/dry vacs and lots of fans/ dehumidifiers.
Enough babbling from me, hope everyone stays safe, Better days are a Comin’!!
Keith

toomanytoys

You need a new insurance company. My dad got paid 40 grand for damages in 2004. Furnace, ac, washer, dryer, water heater, garage door, basement door, and to replace the sheeting and siding on the garage.

He replaced the furnace. everything else was fixed for free or very little money.

The insurance adjusted just walked around making stuff up I think.

Keith this is terrible, I can understand your frustration. Is there a way the outside of your foundation and wall can be coated with a tar like product to seal the water out permanently? If so, applying it a foot above ground also for ground water too could be the answer to your wet basement.

wjustice

Ida hit us in south jersey also. Many places here got 5-6" of rain and more. I got lucky and only had maybe 2" but with how low my place is. The scarier part was the number of tornados it produced. We don't get them here normally but they are still counting. A few neighborhoods got a lot of damage. Luckily they were smaller ef-1/2 sized. My sump pumps are pumping but the floor is mostly just a little wet in spots. Hang in there pomfish!