wbwarriors 1963 Sidekick 18 and under vintage class

We are still working on the wheels. I'm not alone anymore. This is Cameron sorry i missed the past few weeks I got my tonsils removed. This is Ben I also missed the past few weeks because I was helping Cameron. In the rear end we have the Wheel, bearings,The things that hold the bearing in the wheels, and we have the axel. I would like to know if we are missing any pieces. What keeps the wheels centered on the axel. Can someone send me a picture of "their rear end" or tell us what we are missing. This is Sam and I have a joke for you. Do you know why you can't have a 12 inch nose?... because then it would be a foot.

DSC01553.JPG

Biffmini

We are still working on the wheels. I'm not alone anymore. This is Cameron sorry i missed the past few weeks I got my tonsils removed. This is Ben I also missed the past few weeks because I was helping Cameron. In the rear end we have the Wheel, bearings,The things that hold the bearing in the wheels, and we have the axel. I would like to know if we are missing any pieces. What keeps the wheels centered on the axel. Can someone send me a picture of "their rear end" or tell us what we are missing. This is Sam and I have a joke for you. Do you know why you can't have a 12 inch nose?... because then it would be a foot.

View attachment 104531
Sounds like you need some spacers.
Set the wheel up on the axle.& measure length of spacers needed to center the wheel. Make sure your rear sprocket is lined up with engine clutch... Nice work
1523499537259-1868321824.jpg
Axle spacer pic.

View attachment 104531
You are missing your spacers from the sound of it. I attached pics of of my Sidekick I am building. I didnt have any spacers so I ordered some aluminum ones. You can easily make your own by using 3/4" ID tube. Mine required 2-1/4" long spacers on each side, and then I used a 3/4" machine bushing to "snug" it up.

IMG_0788.JPG
IMG_0790.JPG
IMG_0791.JPG

Last edited:
How does the kick stand mount?
Pretty much just how it shows in the pics.. lol.. That is a Tote Gote stand... The original Sidekick stands used a bolt at that pivot you see to secure the stand.. Tote Gotes used a very similar stand as the Sidekick but instead of a bolt on design at the pivot, they simply had "stubs" that required the arms be squeezed a bit and then slipped into the holes.. captive design.. I simply drilled out the existing holes on my frame to proper diameter to fit the Tote stand.. Works perfect.. Just need to straighten and paint it...

I am a little confused on this. The wheel has a bearing that slides inside and then there is a cap that fits over the wheel. Since the axle doesn't spin that means that if there is a spacer then the cap that is fitted into the end of the wheel will spin and he spacer will rub against it and eventually wear out or wear through the cap on the end of the wheel. There is something missing.

I am a little confused on this. The wheel has a bearing that slides inside and then there is a cap that fits over the wheel. Since the axle doesn't spin that means that if there is a spacer then the cap that is fitted into the end of the wheel will spin and he spacer will rub against it and eventually wear out or wear through the cap on the end of the wheel. There is something missing.
You are correct in how it goes together.... my caps looked to be copper or brass when I cleaned them up. From my understanding the axle spacers are supposed to be slightly snug, or just a bit loose... my caps clearly had marks where they had spun against the spacers but in greasing the bearings there will always be a little grease between the cap and the spacers. This lubes that contact point.
Do you have a pic of your spacers?

Using the shims was the standard for tote gotes. The hub end bushings were 841 oilite bronze which was oil impregnated. No grease was used outside of the hub so no dirt would stick.

That makes sense. I knew there had to be something. My students might only have one chance at putting this thing together without scratching it so I wanted it to be right. Thanks!!
:doah: I was looking around the shop for spacers and shims and I came across a box that said "Sidekick" parts. I totally forgot about it since it was small and I thought it only had hardware in it (we bought new hardware). I looked inside and there was a zip lock bag with the original spacers and shims in it. :censure:

Last edited:
They tried painting with a spray can and it didn't come out right. I really think it was the paint and not the students. This time around I am going to paint it with a gun. (Should have done that in the first place but I wanted them to give it a try.) It is going to be a long weekend!

We came in on a Saturday and started to put the bike together but we didn't like the way the paint came out on the wheels so we asked Mr. Davis to repaint them again. This is Sam and my dad came and offered any help if we needed it. This is Cameron we had fun and ate Pizza.

DSC01749.JPG DSC01750.JPG DSC01751.JPG DSC01752.JPG DSC01753.JPG DSC01754.JPG DSC01755.JPG DSC01756.JPG