We all felt like doing this...

toomanytoys

I miss my abandoned gravel pit access, they started working it again a few years ago and I rarely go to the range. Shooting "stuff" is so much "funner" than paper targets...and educational too ;)
That's why I quit shooting. We had old dumps along the side of a few dirt roads locally. Always different stuff to shoot. Old toilets, glass bottles, sinks, old appliances...

Good they cleaned them up and cracked down on dumping but I miss our shooting spots.

mustangfrank

That's why I quit shooting. We had old dumps along the side of a few dirt roads locally. Always different stuff to shoot. Old toilets, glass bottles, sinks, old appliances...

Good they cleaned them up and cracked down on dumping but I miss our shooting spots.
If you ever get the opportunity to shoot one of the 3 or 4 glass lenses or magnifiers from inside a projection TV I highly recommend it! Daytime fireworks in full sun.

pomfish

3 things about this.

1. Used to live on my late Grandfather's farm (1982-1989 when Ammo was still cheap) after he moved in with my Mother and we used to have big Pig Roast parties.
Prior to the drinking, the guys who helped put the thing together with me would all bring small appliances or anything that just pizzed you off during the past year. Clock radios that made you late, etc.
They would put them aside during the year for this party and we would have an "Appliance shoot" Mainly 12 gauge shotguns as my brother would announce the item from behind the barn and then throw it high into the range and it would get blasted.
Sometimes we would all miss and it would have to go up again but this was rare.

We did record albums one time and they proved to be a hoot. After a few misses it was announced the next record was "Saturday Night Fever"
That thing didn't make it 30 feet till there was nothing left of it!

Later in the day when it got hot and guys took off their shirts it was easy to see who the shooters were by the red mark on your shoulder:)

2. Used to have a Clothes iron hanging from a tree 25 yards away from kitchen window, if I woke up in a bad mood it would get the permanent resident kitchen gun (30-30 Winchester) treatment. after a a few blasts all that was left was the sole plate and that survived for about 18 months till the cord got hit. After living in the city for years and not being able to shoot anything, having 10 acres and neighbors who were far away and didn't care about some shooting sure helped the stress levels remain down.
Living there were the best times, did not have a TV for 4 years and it was liberating. Had the big azz stereo as I worked at the stereo store. Still remember the day I brought home the first CD player, a Yamaha and the joy of no feedback and being able to open the Harmon Kardon power amp wide open into the JBL L100T speakers.

3. Used to buy 1/24 RC cars at Goodwill for like 8.99 and have someone send those babies out and blast them, some of them would take some abuse before laying down for the death roll.
Ans someone mentioned the gravel pit, man do I miss them, lots of random dumped stuff to shoot. Once someone left a Mannequin.
Yeah.

Nowadays don't know how people afford to shoot.

Anyway thanks for the good memories and pictures.
Keith

I74

I ''hate'' Rabbit's !,, and if there is anything worse than I hate than a Rabbit,, it's ''2'' Rabbit's !!

Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 23_48_59.png

Last edited:

toomanytoys

I used to buy a case of .223 or 7.62x39 every month. Plus I'd occasionally order some. 308 and 30-06 and the odd box of .30 carbine

Have quite a stash built up over the course of 3 years.

desert rat

Is that a 50 cal.
I have 9 feet of 50 cal (don't make me count them) a full load is 27 feet, plus some odd ones. Some 25 mm I beleave are from an A10 or C130 not sure. Then there is the stash of live anti aircraft rounds. I did turn in the T3 tank round I found, That one did not make the local cops happy but the boys from the base had a BLAST with it when they detonated it. I live in the middle of two big bases and smack dab on the old 1940+ training range for army and air force.