We got to plant some trees !!

I74

Here at my place in the newer subdivision in east central Iowa, SW, out side of the City of Cedar Rapids, it is getting spring here,, & I can here the birds chirping ,& they are wanting ''trees ''here, as there isn't many....
It is a newer Subdivision.
I see that a lot of dumb, -'' blank blanks;;, around here with a 'lot of money, don't even care about trees, as they have the trees cut down, so they can grow grass,& supposedly have a better view of things. They are cutting down ''a 'lot of trees'' in the city.,
This is B/S, & pisses me off.
I

That sucks! Try to plant trees that were native to your area. Not to be a nut hugger, it is really better to have trees than grass! I bet it's better to have shade trees that not. I'm planting some apple trees this spring and adding a Bee box to see if that works. My old house had more trees than my current one, cost more to heat and cool than the old one?

Don't plant any ash trees, at least not yet. The emerald ash borer has been raising hell the last couple years, and there's a good chance you'll lose them in short order.

Roger

I74

I have 3 Sugar Maple seedlings that I planted in a pot last spring from ''propeller'' seeds, from my old place.
One is already 1 1/2 ft. tall.
They lost their leaves last fall, & still appear to be alive, as I have the pot hanging in front of a window inside, for the moment.
Hope they come back around.

People love to cut down trees. I dont know why it seems they are afraid of them. Especially the blank blanks! Most new houses going up around here are smack in the center of a huge field. Countless examples of senseless tree chopping around town. Im not sure but I think sometimes its insurance related. When they get new insurance they dont want any trees around the house. I dont know. one side of our house has mostly ash trees they are all dieing it sucks. We have lots of small pines up in the woods we have been transplanting to the bare spots but i dont know how well thats working. Im sure it sucks for you in Iowa theres not many trees to start with

I74

Thanks for the post, jeep 2003. :)
One of the main reasons we moved to Cedar Rapids back in 97', was because of the unusual large amount of a variety of ''very'' nice trees.
Kind of reminds us of the NE, - ''Wife's from Boston''.
When heading west from here, there isn't hardly any trees at all, until you hit the Rocky mtn's. ect.
Heading east towards NY, there isn't really much until around PA.

Itype2slo

Trees are great if you have the property to support them. If they block views or drop leaves on the neighbor so be it. Root damage on the other hand is not cool especially if it's not your trees.

To be honest, if it wasn't for the fact that I/we need trees in order to breath, I'd cut down those on my place, just to eliminate the obstacles to efficient mowing. Alas, I like breathing better than not breathing.

Roger