Weed eater edger won't start help.

Why can't I get this thing started? Ran last year. I have spark and fresh gas and new plug. Won't even fire on starting fluid. What am I missing. PXL_20210904_143834106.jpg

Those little carbatrators gum up real easy if you don't run them every month or so. Here's my trick to get them going. On the carb side opposite the primer bulb there is a square cover plate with a hole in the middle, use a wire to push in gently through that hole to hold the diaphragm valve open while you pull the starter rope with the choke closed. This will unseat the stuck needle valve and allow gas to rush through and usually clear out the passages enough to get the engine started. Spray some Gumout in with the gas that's in the tank to dissolve the carb crap and run it like you stole it to flush all the crap out of the carbatrator.

If the engine has a lot of use on it the exhaust will be obstructed. Take the muffler apart and burn all the carbon off with a propane torch then use a dull knife to scrape all the carbon from the exhaust ports on the side of the cylinder.

If the engine has a lot of use on it the exhaust will be obstructed. Take the muffler apart and burn all the carbon off with a propane torch then use a dull knife to scrape all the carbon from the exhaust ports on the side of the cylinder.
I have seen the exhaust port blocked by a spider web. I was enough blockage that the engine wouldn't start...

I74

How long has the fuel mix been in it Karen ??

I have worked on a few of those exact ones.

Are you getting fuel on the plug?

Starting fluid is a ''no no''.

Also,,

I run strictly 40 - 1 ''Tru Fuel'' in ''all'' small 2 stroke stuff.

Shelf life of it is over 3 years, & it wont mess up the fuel metering diaphragm ect., like pump gas will,, if left in for long periods of time ….

Pump gas today, generally starts going bad after around 30 days..

You ''never'' want to run gas with ''alcohol'' in a 2 - stroke either.

It for one , dilutes the oil mix,, & also makes them run ''way'' hot,, plus dries up crank seals ect.

Also Burn's them up real quick with that stuff.

I do see that you might have a can of some kind of engineered fuel though....

Have tested multiple canned fuels, & Tru Fuel is'' hands down'' the best I have used.

Wouldn't run 50 - 1 either, regardless.

That's 50 drops of gas to ''only'' 1 drop of oil. :eek:

Might also set the plug gap to .030..

That helps give a bigger spark, & also helps burn the oil mix off the plug.

If still having problems.,, Let me know, & I could also walk you thru some tricks with the carb, so you might not have to get a kit. ;)

I

Last edited:

Harquebus

Does it still have compression?

I picked up a free "curbside" Craftsman/Poulan leaf blower that had spark but the compression was abysmal; basically zero resistance when you pull the starter. Bought new rings for it {plus new fuel lines}, deglazed the cylinder, cleaned it all up and reassembled it and it came back to life.

On disassembly I found that the rings had seized to the piston from gumming and/or carbon buildup {and long term neglect}, so I COULD have reused them in theory but chose not to.