Weird "Pffffffft.......pffffftttt sound

"Every BDC one valve or the other is open. "

If this is true then what good does filling the cylinder with air do? Won't it just leak past the open valve?
Look at the chart for compression stroke at that time the valves are closed. You need to understand that for every rotation of the cam the engine rotates twice.

So I just went out and took the motor off the bike. Checked the valve clearance. There was .006 on the intake but essentially none on the exhaust. Ground the valve stem and got a tight .012 on the exhaust. Checked everything again and bench started it. Still sputters and coughs and shoots pressure out the carb. I think there is something amiss on the internals. I have a lead on a couple of motors so we will probably go that route for now and I will keep it as a project motor since it looked real clean.

Also took off the coil (no points). Sanded the connections down and set it a business card thickness away. Did not check the flywheel key. Will do that shortly.

markus

Business card is incorrect thickness, .0125 is the correct setting. Valve clearance of .012 is like throwing a hot dog down a hallway on a late model and 3x what it should be. I hope you were checking it @ true TDC If you were BTDC even by a little you may have been sitting on the tail end of the compression release bump which raises the exhaust valve on the HS engines.

markus

Well I used this as a reference for the valve spec:
https://outdoorpowerinfo.com/engine_specs/tecumseh_valve_gaps.asp

And I tried to slide in a .006 feeler gauge through out the entire stroke and was never able to get a .006 gauge in there at any time during the stroke.

The standard business card is 0.014 inches thick which is pretty close......
:D Umm yea..... You might want to look at those specs again and try not to confuse the metric conversion measurements underneath the standard and or look at the correct engine model number. Specs are .004-.008 but your “pretty close”. Good luck with it!

markus

Sooooo.....ummmm...a very tight .012 is 3x .008?

Interesting....:rolleyes:
So your learning disability is not just reading, its arithmetic as well, tough break. As I said above .004 , the minimum setting and probably what it was since you stated you only bothered to use a .006 gauge making it "essentially zero" above (is that like "pretty close"?). .008 is the end of the spectrum. ask your daddy to multiply .004 by 3 for ya ;)

What you SHOULD be looking for is the nearest Harbor Freight, get yourself a couple of clones, Because its apparent these super simple, outdated engines are a bit too complicated for ya! I could not find a coupon for the predaturd engine online but I did find some other goodies you can pickup while there, the top right one is all you. Best of luck. you need all of it you can get

hazard_7.JPG

Markus....you might go back and read what you said......

"Valve clearance of .012 is like throwing a hot dog down a hallway on a late model and 3x what it should be. "

And

"Specs are .004-.008 "

So......I suggested the exhaust exhaust clearance might be .012 (arguably its .008) but .012 is clearly not 3 times .008. Try typing .008 then the "x" symbol and then the number 3 and then "=" into your phone and tell me if the number you get is more or less than .012 OK?

And if you can't multiply .008 x 3 then ask your grandkid to do it for ya.... :rolleyes:

markus

Markus....you might go back and read what you said......

"Valve clearance of .012 is like throwing a hot dog down a hallway on a late model and 3x what it should be. "

And

"Specs are .004-.008 "

So......I suggested the exhaust exhaust clearance might be .012 (arguably its .008) but .012 is clearly not 3 times .008. Try typing .008 then the "x" symbol and then the number 3 and then "=" into your phone and tell me if the number you get is more or less than .012 OK?

And if you can't multiply .008 x 3 then ask your grandkid to do it for ya.... :rolleyes:
You got me, I wish I was as good as you are. Why the hell have I been shooting for the minimum (in this case .004) when I am setting valve lash after recutting the valve seats and valve faces all this time?? Clearly setting them at the Highest acceptable setting so when the engine runs in and everything takes a set it goes out of spec is clearly the way to go! Thank you for setting me straight! I hope you can offer more tips and tricks on how to build engines in the future!!!

I74

You got me, I wish I was as good as you are. Why the hell have I been shooting for the minimum (in this case .004) when I am setting valve lash after recutting the valve seats and valve faces all this time?? Clearly setting them at the Highest acceptable setting so when the engine runs in and everything takes a set it goes out of spec is clearly the way to go! Thank you for setting me straight! I hope you can offer more tips and tricks on how to build engines in the future!!!
Yea,, you & me both. ;)

Well its not timing. I took the side cover off. Timing marks align perfectly. I am thinking maybe coil. I noticed some of the laminated plates on the side were separating. Will put it aside for now and will play with it once I get the Sundowner finished.

I74

You ''still'' need to check your valve clearances @ ''true'' TDC ,, with '' both'' valves ''completely'' closed,,, like I & the others stated before.
Spec. gaps are definitely .004 - .008,, & ''please'' use actual feeler ''gauges''.
I used to set them @ the middle of those specs @ .006, as I stated before also.

A crude way is,, you can stick the eraser end of a pencil in the plug hole,, ''with the piston up'',, & mark the side of the pencil with a marker next to the top base of the plug hole,, ''for reference'',, with keeping the pencil in the hole to watch in making sure the piston is all the way up,, while slightly &''slowly'' rotating the crank back & forth a ''wee'' bit,, & also at the same time watching for ''any'' valve train movement.
Around there is where you want to check your gaps . ;)

Let us know what the gaps are.

I

Last edited: