Welding burns??? Corona is what you need.

Most of you have seen my chassis fab thread and are aware of how much welding is involved. When I had the chassis upside down so that I could finish all the bottom welds I burned my fingers. Very badly. I had just run a weld on a 2'' piece of tubing meeting the main rail. Turned and ran a 2'' bead on the other end of that same 2'' tubing. I then turned back and placed my left hand directly on the previous weld. Less than 30 seconds after making that weld. I burnt the pads on 3 fingers. The ring finger was the worst. Burned from the tip to the first joint.

Here is proof of my absent mindedness... Yes that is my finger print... And no it didn't take long to test the temp. But It did not even blister because I used the Corona ointment immediately. You have to apply it immediately and keep it on the burn continuously for as long as you can. I was completely pain free by that evening and didn't have to apply it the next day. It has been a week and still no blistering or peeling of the skin. If I had not done this it would have been a nasty blister and would have taken a long time to heal. It sounds way to good to be true but I swear by this stuff. I have multiple tubes of it in the shop. I keep a tube on the Mig welder. The wife keeps a tube in the kitchen too. Get yourself a tube and use it on any burns that you get. You will be glad that you did.

DSC05092.JPG

Corona is a horse ointment. I buy it at tractor supply but Amazon has it too. A friend told me about this stuff years back. She rides and had a fancy stud that she wanted to have branded. So she made the arrangements to have him branded but when she got him home she was concerned because it was a nasty looking burn. So she used the Corona to tend the burn. She did it multiple times a day until it was healed. When it healed it also disappeared. You could see just a slight difference in the slickness of the skin where it healed. She wasn't happy that the brand disappeared but was very happy about how well it healed.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/corona-multi-purpose-ointment-7-oz?solr=1&cm_vc=-10005

https://www.amazon.com/Manna-Pro-10...pose+Ointment&qid=1562214393&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Thanks for this, never heard of Corona ointment before. Thought you were going to say you drank Corona beers until you didn’t feel the burn anymore lol
As a fellow welder I understand burns and have had many. I have used the silverdene cream before and that works pretty good also. But I think that stuff is prescription only?

@massacre I am not familiar with the silverdene cream. If it is prescription it is probably pricey too...

You know just how bad you can burn yourself in a moment of absent mindedness. This stuff has saved me a lot of misery over the years. When I was Tig welding the stainless exhaust pipes on Bruce's Blazer I wasn't paying attention to how I had rotated the pipe to get to the next weld and laid my arm on the hot pipe. The bottom of the arm is tender meat... I had a burn about 5 inches long by 3 inches wide as the stainless really caries the heat as you well know. The Corona saved me from the nasty blister and long healing time that it normally would have been. You just have to put it on immediately and rub it into the skin thoroughly. And then keep it applied for the next 4 - 6 hours or so. And surprisingly it doesn't take a lot for a single application. You wont ever use up a tube. I hope this will help you and others out the next time you have an "opps" moment.

Thanks for this, never heard of Corona ointment before. Thought you were going to say you drank Corona beers until you didn’t feel the burn anymore lol
As a fellow welder I understand burns and have had many. I have used the silverdene cream before and that works pretty good also. But I think that stuff is prescription only?
It is not only Rx, but quite expensive too! My ex-wife__ER nurse__brought me home a tub of it, must've been a pound or more.

Nowadays, I have several Aloe Vera plants growing outside my shop. Takes no effort whatsoever; the builder planted one (1) and they keep popping up from the roots of the original plant.

When I burn myself now, I just cut off a couple inches from a leaf, peel it back and rub the meat over the burn. Instant relief from the burning, and if you keep it up for a couple-few days, it heals really fast.

@Randy Forbes

Having never had immediate access to an Aloe Vera plant at the time of a burn I am curious just how good it works. Does it keep the burn from blistering or peeling? Even if it is a bad burn? You say that you have to keep up with it for a couple - few days?

Just trying to learn about this. I am a firm believer in natural cures and remedies such as this. May have to plant some.

Thanks

I highly recommend it! Of course it's better to not burn ourselves, but we all know that accidents do happen.

Here's one (1, of 6,690,000 results!) link to Aloe Vera use; the comments are actually more interesting than the article, as they are real world examples.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/29/the-alternative-medicine-cabinet-aloe-vera-for-burns/

To answer your specific question, I really don't remember the skin blistering, and a few of the examples state pretty much the same thing. When I say I put it on for a couple of days, the fact is that once it's no longer in the forefront of my mind, I forget to keep applying it. I'll usually keep a band-aid over it for a few additional days, mostly because their (Band-Aid) technology is so good now, that it stays intact for up to several days (perhaps because I'll wear either latex or nitrile gloves until it's better).

BTW, I took a look at (some of...) your build thread, essentially the first & last few pages, some seriously nice work there! I'll consider it an accomplishment if I can reproduce one of these McCulloch R1 go kart chassis (I did this layout so long ago, I'm not even sure if I still have the Bend-Tech file).

But at least I have the real deal to get measurements from. Ideally, I'd like to find someone with a Mc 200 chassis, and reproduce one of those; I already have a second set of all the unique McCulloch parts to complete another one. I'd like to be able to compete in both the single & twin engine classes at a couple of VKA (Vintage Karting Association) events next year.

The Mc 200 frame is a single rail, compared to the R1's double (side) rails; being a little more flexible, it supposedly handles better. I had one as a kid, but at more than fifty years ago, I can't exactly say I've done a back to back comparison of its handling!

This is my Mom on it, best shot I have that even remotely shows the side rail design.

Weren't we talking about burns...? ;) IMG_4129.JPG IMG_4129.JPG
[/sidetrack]

Talking about burn relievers I use lavender essential oil.
I fell onto a metal fireplace when I was about 6 and burnt my palms SUPER bad.
My mom applied lavender and I didn't have a blister form and dont have a scar.

Update on the Corona. I had an abrasion on my right chin. All the older guys will understand this one... I have no clue how I scrapped it but it just wanted to be ugly and not heal. You get old the skin gets rotten... I used the Corona on it for 2 days, twice a day and it immediately started healing and has almost disappeared in just a week. Wish I had tried it sooner....

I bought some Doug the last time I went to TSC and I'm glad I did . Burn the back side of my thumb today while welding some handle bars up , looked like it was going to blister but I remembered I had the Corona . Applied it twice today and it doesn't hurt at all , and no blister ! Thanks Doug , great tip .

I bought some Doug the last time I went to TSC and I'm glad I did . Burn the back side of my thumb today while welding some handle bars up , looked like it was going to blister but I remembered I had the Corona . Applied it twice today and it doesn't hurt at all , and no blister ! Thanks Doug , great tip .
Glad you had it to try Eric! I use it for more and more things to speed healing. It works very good on a common abrasion of the skin too.

I think it will help everything except a broken heart....