well now it wont start.

Wow. The pics on their website look nothing like that
I know right?, that's why when you said they make no mention of it, I had to crack open the box. I have 2 other Tillotson engines but have only been inside one of them (actually pieced that one together too), I was sure the crank was blued the same but it had been so long since I built it, I couldn't remember if it was from that engine or another I had built.

jayJams:
I wanted to see pics of the rod, the piston, the bearing surface of the crank journal, the cylinder and whole assembly splayed out on a work bench.
Exactly what I wanted to see too, maybe the rod cap didn't come that loose but if it seized, there's gotta be evidence either on the crank, piston or cylinder wall. The shots of the inside didn't show any fragments/particulates in the oil, in fact what oil there was looked pretty good. He did say the oil leaked out when the side cover bolts fell out so I'm sure that's why the oil looked good, it was filled prior to it's recent failure.

I just don’t get what is so hard about getting another brand new engine?
it’s going to cost more to pay a machine shop, or buy the proper measuring tools
its becuz im broke im just a highschool kid who likes engines but i dont have the money so,i think if theres nothing that is unfixable in the engine if it is cheaper than buying a new engine im going to do it but it looks like im goin to have to buy a new engine.

Exactly what I wanted to see too, maybe the rod cap didn't come that loose but if it seized, there's gotta be evidence either on the crank, piston or cylinder wall. The shots of the inside didn't show any fragments/particulates in the oil, in fact what oil there was looked pretty good. He did say the oil leaked out when the side cover bolts fell out so I'm sure that's why the oil looked good, it was filled prior to it's recent failure.
yea just about 2 days before i changed the oil

well i mean it runs and it runs well rn but im prolly not going to ride it becuz it just doesnt feel safe but now there is a billet rod in it so it should be okay....right..i hope

Harquebus

well i mean it runs and it runs well rn ....but now there is a billet rod in it so it should be okay....right..i hope
Did you torque the rod cap to the right torque value (foot pounds/inch pounds)?
Is the flywheel fastened to the crankshaft at the right torque?
Are the side cover bolts tight and/or torqued correctly?

Pffft, ride it man. It must have felt "safe enough" when you tried an attempt at lift off (60+ mph), right? Just go easy and use 0W, 5W or 10W-30 oil.

Rod gets torqued to 150in. lbs. using conventional oil 170in. lbs. if using moly based lube on the bolts. side cover 17ft. lbs. and flywheel 54ft. lbs. Grab yourself about a foot long piece of 3/8" rope, push it into the spark plug hole trying so it coils into the cylinder, then turn the engine over slowly by hand in the direction you'll be torquing the flywheel until it stops, then torque the flywheel.

Last edited:
Did you torque the rod cap to the right torque value (foot pounds/inch pounds)?
Is the flywheel fastened to the crankshaft at the right torque?
Are the side cover bolts tight and/or torqued correctly?

Pffft, ride it man. It must have felt "safe enough" when you tried an attempt at lift off (60+ mph), right? Just go easy and use 0W, 5W or 10W-30 oil.
well the flywheel is torqued to spec andthe side cover is i torqued the rod without a torque wrench so i will grab my torque wrench and tighten that right away

ok so i torqued down all the bolt rq and took the minibike to the straightaway on our dirt road a couple of thing i notice the engine revs really high but at about 45 mph it begins to slow down and then it revs up again than slows down,i was really hoping to take the minnibike down with me to florida me and my older brother were planning to ride,but rn i dont think i will be able to keep up with his kawasaki 1000

Harquebus

Surging (revs low and high over and over again) is usually an indication of a fuel issue like fuel starvation.
Could be clogged jets, clogged fuel tank vent, dirty fuel, water in your fuel...

Needless to say, fuel and fueling up the bike, for instance, is an exercise in cleanliness. Gotta have clean, good quality fuel going into a clean jug (at the gas station) and your bike's fuel tank should be clean. Some people pour their fuel through a filter before it goes into the vehicle fuel tank.
Do you have a fuel filter between the tank and the engine? Check it for clogging.

But nevermind all that for a minute. THE truly shocking thing here is--you've really got no business trying to keep up with a "Kawasaki 1000"! :oops:
That's just nuts. You and your brother and friends should be riding either all minibikes or all street (or dirt) motorcycles.

You can keep up with a Kawi 1000 with a modded industrial engine (that's what the Tillotson is) for a while, maybe, but what the Tillotson is doing at its very limits (redlining it), the Kawasaki is doing with ease. It's apples and oranges.

You should try forming a minibike group and doing something like this:

Looks like fun.

Surging (revs low and high over and over again) is usually an indication of a fuel issue like fuel starvation.
Could be clogged jets, clogged fuel tank vent, dirty fuel, water in your fuel...

Needless to say, fuel and fueling up the bike, for instance, is an exercise in cleanliness. Gotta have clean, good quality fuel going into a clean jug (at the gas station) and your bike's fuel tank should be clean. Some people pour their fuel through a filter before it goes into the vehicle fuel tank.
Do you have a fuel filter between the tank and the engine? Check it for clogging.

But nevermind all that for a minute. THE truly shocking thing here is--you've really got no business trying to keep up with a "Kawasaki 1000"! :oops:
That's just nuts. You and your brother and friends should be riding either all minibikes or all street (or dirt) motorcycles.

You can keep up with a Kawi 1000 with a modded industrial engine (that's what the Tillotson is) for a while, maybe, but what the Tillotson is doing at its very limits (redlining it), the Kawasaki is doing with ease. It's apples and oranges.

You should try forming a minibike group and doing something like this:

Looks like fun.
lol ik i cant keep up with a 1000 but we thought it would be kinda fun,btw i do have a fuel filter but i dont think its dirty i have a filter in the gas tank and one on the fuel line also the fuel line is brand new,i loosened the tightened the valve lash alot to get the bike started when it was seized could that be the problem.

ok so i torqued down all the bolt rq and took the minibike to the straightaway on our dirt road a couple of thing i notice the engine revs really high but at about 45 mph it begins to slow down and then it revs up again than slows down,i was really hoping to take the minnibike down with me to florida me and my older brother were planning to ride,but rn i dont think i will be able to keep up with his kawasaki 1000
If you're running a Mikuni style carb without a fuel pump, it may be that the gravity feed isn't keeping up with the RPM's of the engine, using fuel faster than it can be supplied. It can also be that at your cruising speed of 45mph is right where the carb is transitioning between the low speed circuit and high speed circuit and be corrected with jetting/tuning.