West bend 580? Power bee? Whats she worth

Hey everyone.
I came across this engine and would like to get a quick education on it and get a rough value on it.

So from my quick research it appears west bend had made these engines for a variety of different uses.
It appears this one was an outboard?
It has a tag on It that says "Power Bee 2 cycle engine by US marine" with a 580 serial number.

It looks like I have the complete engine, with pull start, intake, carb, clutch and some type of gear assembly. .I did not get the muffler unfortunately.
Engine pulls over with compression. Havent tested spark yet.
Looks fairly clean for its age.

Pics attached

Would like to get an idea roughlt what year it is and what to ask for this thing as it sits dollar wise.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

Are you sure it was an outboard setup? The service manual shows the 58037 used as a tamper, built for Stone Construction, Haneye, NY. It is interchangeable with a 58021, also a tamper built for the Bud Corporation, Columbus, OH. It is rated at 4 HP @5500. Pull the clutch off to see what the pto configuration is, service manual shows it to be a 9/16 dia. by 1-7/8 long with 7/16-20 threads on the end. That configuration may have been used in an outboard setup also.

Are you sure it was an outboard setup? The service manual shows the 58037 used as a tamper, built for Stone Construction, Haneye, NY. It is interchangeable with a 58021, also a tamper built for the Bud Corporation, Columbus, OH. It is rated at 4 HP @5500. Pull the clutch off to see what the pto configuration is, service manual shows it to be a 9/16 dia. by 1-7/8 long with 7/16-20 threads on the end. That configuration may have been used in an outboard setup also.
I'm not at all sure it was an outboard...I actually just assumed it was since it was labeled "US Marine", but after looking more into it it seems that was just a manufacturer name.

1965 West Bend sold to Chrysler Marine division, the 80's Chrysler sold to US Marine (a division of Brunswick) 91 they sold to United States Motor Power (US Motor) who is the current producer of the 820. The 580's and 700's were discontinued a while ago. If you need parts you have to look in other places, ie: Ebay

1965 West Bend sold to Chrysler Marine division, the 80's Chrysler sold to US Marine (a division of Brunswick) 91 they sold to United States Motor Power (US Motor) who is the current producer of the 820. The 580's and 700's were discontinued a while ago. If you need parts you have to look in other places, ie: Ebay
That's the same info I read online. So looks like this one is a 1980-1991 model.
I dont think I'll be fixing this one up, more likely selling it as is to someone who can use it. Doesnt look like it would take much to be a runner though.

I just had a Chrysler Power Bee US820 built and shipped to me for $650 complete ready to run. I didnt have the engine. The guy built it from his parts inventory. Painted with decals ready to go. I got it and just bolted it in

Great info! I did a search and I'm surprised (due to all the EPA BS) to find the 820 is available brand new. 8 HP and only weighs 15.5 lbs... interesting...

http://www.usmotorpower.com/parts/replacement-engine

http://www.usmotorpower.com/820-engine2

I've never owned a 2-stroke anything, but have been thinking over the past couple of years about a minibike with one. I had no idea there was anything 2-stroke available new, other than a few 49cc street legal scooters from Adly and Genuine (excluding weedeaters and other lawn equipment). I've thought about buying one of them just to experience something with a 2-stroke engine; they can run 60 mph, or so, with some tweaking. One of these engines in a minibike might be even more fun to play with.

Last edited:
Great info! I did a search and I'm surprised (due to all the EPA BS) to find the 820 is available brand new. 8 HP and only weighs 15.5 lbs... interesting...

http://www.usmotorpower.com/parts/replacement-engine

http://www.usmotorpower.com/820-engine2

I've never owned a 2-stroke anything, but have been thinking over the past couple of years about a minibike with one. I had no idea there was anything 2-stroke available new, other than a few 49cc street legal scooters from Adly and Genuine (excluding weedeaters and other lawn equipment). I've thought about buying one of them just to experience something with a 2-stroke engine; they can run 60 mph, or so, with some tweaking. One of these engines in a minibike might be even more fun to play with.
If you're interested this one will be available! Lol.

So exciting update.
I posted it in Ebay and no takers yet, so decided to mess with it a little today.

Turns out, it has good spark, so I grabbed compression gauge and it has 100psi compression.

Should be an easy fixer upper. I may have to figure out an exhaust and get or running.