West bend 580

I was wondering if some would give opinions. I have a westbend 580 powerbee from a chainsaw. I was wondering if the motor would be strong enough to power a vintage mini bike? Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time

I was wondering if some would give opinions. I have a westbend 580 powerbee from a chainsaw. I was wondering if the motor would be strong enough to power a vintage mini bike? Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time
Yes a 580 will power a mini bike, they came in different power ratings, from 4 HP to 6.5 HP depending on the intake reed, carburetor size, ignition timing. What is the model number on your 580?

It’s a 58022. I got it off a chainsaw. So I was worried it might not be the type powerful enough for a mini bike. I also have a 80cc mcculloch off a chainsaw. Which would you think would be the better motor for a mini bike? I may try to sell one or the other to help pay for parts like an engine mount. Not sure which to use for the bike though

It’s a 58022. I got it off a chainsaw. So I was worried it might not be the type powerful enough for a mini bike. I also have a 80cc mcculloch off a chainsaw. Which would you think would be the better motor for a mini bike? I may try to sell one or the other to help pay for parts like an engine mount. Not sure which to use for the bike though
58022 was built for C-B tool company, Lancaster PA for chain saw use. It is rated 4.0 HP @5500 rpm. This would be a good mini bike engine, they have good low end torque for a two cycle engine. What type of pto does it have, tapered, straight or? Putting a V power or aftermarket pyramid reed intake and a HL88 carburetor would make this equivalent to the kart version about 5 HP @6000 rpm. West Bend V power reed intake on the left, Go Power intake on the right, Go Power used pyramid reed cage

Attachments

58022 was built for C-B tool company, Lancaster PA for chain saw use. It is rated 4.0 HP @5500 rpm. This would be a good mini bike engine, they have good low end torque for a two cycle engine. What type of pto does it have, tapered, straight or? Putting a V power or aftermarket pyramid reed intake and a HL88 carburetor would make this equivalent to the kart version about 5 HP @6000 rpm. West Bend V power reed intake on the left, Go Power intake on the right, Go Power used pyramid reed cage
here is a few pics of the motor. I do see the shaft is not tapered it appears to be 5/8” shaft. Maybe by the pictures I included you can give me an idea of what I need to make it sufficient for a mini bike set up or if it might be a better idea to abandon it and go a different route. I was thinking about selling this and I also have a old lauson 2 stroke and hopefully getting enough to buy the motor I need or fix either this power bee or my mcculloch motor by selling one or the other and the lauson. I really want to use a two stroke, I just don’t know a ton about them yet. But with help from people like you here I’m feeling much better about it being a possibility. I appreciate the time you have already spent trying to help me. For real I do. I put pics with this reply. Please let me know if there is anything else I should snap a picture of that might help you help me.

Attachments

ChickenLover, that engine would make a good mini bike engine. If you don't need the angle intake manifold take it off and mount the carburetor direct to the reed plate. What model is the carburetor, it is stamped on the flange of the carburetor, my service book shows it should be an HL 130A. You will probably need to rebuilt the carburetor, check if the engine has spark, pull the reed intake off so you can inspect the internals, make sure none of the bearings are gummed up, put an engine mount on it, you should be ready to go if all checks out. On a mini bike application I would run an air filter.

I’ll check the model of the carb, also I was hoping I can list the other carbs I have and maybe you can tell me which carb might be best for the job.

I truly appreciate your time and advice Louie. Thank you

ChickenLover, that engine would make a good mini bike engine. If you don't need the angle intake manifold take it off and mount the carburetor direct to the reed plate. What model is the carburetor, it is stamped on the flange of the carburetor, my service book shows it should be an HL 130A. You will probably need to rebuilt the carburetor, check if the engine has spark, pull the reed intake off so you can inspect the internals, make sure none of the bearings are gummed up, put an engine mount on it, you should be ready to go if all checks out. On a mini bike application I would run an air filter.
The carb that came in this power bee is a HL122A. Is that a bad/good/decent carb for the application I want it for?

The carb that came in this power bee is a HL122A. Is that a bad/good/decent carb for the application I want it for?
It would be ok for a mini bike, it's a small carburetor which would give you good low end throttle response, it will work fine, then later on you could go to a HL232, you will loose low end throttle response but pickup hi rpm HP. You could compensate the lose of low end response with a clutch that engages at a higher rpm.

It would be ok for a mini bike, it's a small carburetor which would give you good low end throttle response, it will work fine, then later on you could go to a HL232, you will loose low end throttle response but pickup hi rpm HP. You could compensate the lose of low end response with a clutch that engages at a higher rpm.
I was hoping you migh to be able to tell me which crab may be best out of what I have available. If none of these would be any good j will look into buying a different one

here is a list

all tillotson

HL63E
HL63G. Also would you happen to know the difference between the E and G?
HC13A
HL122A

any information you might be able to give would be great. I appreciate your time.

I was hoping you migh to be able to tell me which crab may be best out of what I have available. If none of these would be any good j will look into buying a different one

here is a list

all tillotson

HL63E
HL63G. Also would you happen to know the difference between the E and G?
HC13A
HL122A

any information you might be able to give would be great. I appreciate your time.
Hey ChickenLover, sorry to have not gotten back sooner, been busy with work. The HL63 carburetors were made for McCulloch, the letter designation denotes a small change, it may be the throttle shaft was changed or some other minor change. The HL 122A was made for West Bend, the HC series were for gravity flow supply or use of a fuel pump. Get a rebuild kit for the 122, run that one. My West Bend service manual shows the HL122A was used on the 700 engines.

Hey ChickenLover, sorry to have not gotten back sooner, been busy with work. The HL63 carburetors were made for McCulloch, the letter designation denotes a small change, it may be the throttle shaft was changed or some other minor change. The HL 122A was made for West Bend, the HC series were for gravity flow supply or use of a fuel pump. Get a rebuild kit for the 122, run that one. My West Bend service manual shows the HL122A was used on the 700 engines.
good deal! Once again I appreciate your time Louie. I plan to find a decent and hopefully least expensive rebuild as I can. I’m a baller on a budget

Welcome to the world of the left. That was a good catch just having fun with you.
No worries. West Bend engine model numbers use even last digits for CCW rotation on the recoil side and odd last digits for CW. West Bend CCW 82006 powered chainsaw on the rear of a CW 82007 powered Rokon:
Power_Bee_820.jpg

Last edited: