West Bend 820 Tav2 Sprocket mini bike.

Sprocket86

Hello fellow OldMiniBikes enthusiasts!

I recently completed this longtime awaited 2 stroke mini bike project! I have always loved 2 cycle engines and mini bikes. What a perfect combination.

I first started this 2 stroke mini bike journey back around 2015. I followed another members idea of using a 141cc Lawnboy Duraforce lawnmower engine.

It involved a lot of custom fabrication work and $$. I was never quite happy with the performance. Part of that was due to the Comet 30 series torque converter set up.

I always had my eye on the infamous West Bend 820 138cc beast! Found one in Canada from a vintage snowmobile collector. Best part, Its NOS never been fired up! was so happy. Ended up disassembling the entire engine. New gaskets, HD rod bolts, oversize needle bearings for the con rod, billet stuffer plate and some gold paint.

All of my mini bikes have torque converters so this project would be no different. I haven't seen any other builds with a 820 with a TC...

I am using the cast aluminum driver weights, light blue springs and the driven spring in hole #3. This is around 3300rpm engagement. Using a china driven pulley with the red torsion spring. My final drive ratio is 12/72. First test runs were pretty disappointing, seemed to lack any real power. At first I thought I was the engines configuration (.062" head gasket and small 189 carb) but it turns out my muffler attempt was way to restrictive lol.

I figured a 820 could exhale through a 3.5HP Tecumseh 4 cycle round can muffler stuffed in the end of the flexible pipe. Dumbass lol.

After removing that Tec can muffler the power instantly doubled!!! Thing is a monster now. Pops wheelies on command and shreds the ground beneath.

The main issues now are its way too loud. 15 mins and my ears are ringing lol. The 24:1 premix makes an awful mess and leaks out of the flexible exhaust pipe. I am going to try a 1.75 id, 12 inch long exhaust resonator for a car exhaust and see how that works.

I think the Tec air filter I am using is too restrictive as well. I need to find a velocity stack and pod air filter. I have thinner head gaskets and a larger 232 carb. I feel this would be to much power lol. The small fuel tank gets drained quick too. IMG_1463.jpeg IMG_1420.jpeg IMG_1391.jpeg IMG_0768.jpeg

Last edited:

Ding Ding

This is a early 70's Chrysler Marine 820 and the model number is 82005

Thanks and it has been a fun project. Stay tuned for more updates.
Chrysler/West Bend documents indicate the 82005 engine's major use is "Stock", and used for Pumps, Augers, Drill & Saws, as it wasn't specific to any particular customer or manufactured product. Certainly works for a mini bike application too.

I see you retained the original cast aluminum recoil as well, which I am partial to.

Interesting to hear about the performance of your bike. I have 3 bikes with 820s but have yet to ride any of them. Hoping the are fun as the folklore that they carry.

Sprocket86

Chrysler/West Bend documents indicate the 82005 engine's major use is "Stock", and used for Pumps, Augers, Drill & Saws, as it wasn't specific to any particular customer or manufactured product. Certainly works for a mini bike application too.

I see you retained the original cast aluminum recoil as well, which I am partial to.

Interesting to hear about the performance of your bike. I have 3 bikes with 820s but have yet to ride any of them. Hoping the are fun as the folklore that they carry.
The main reason I purchased this NOS 820 (besides the price lol) was the fact that it was a CCW PTO. So many 820's are CW rotation and I have no use for that. This one had 2 .062" head gaskets for low compression. I want to try a .032" but I want to be able to still pull start it and not blow apart the super cool fairbanks morse pull starter. I agree, they look better.

Wow 3 820 powered mini's? What are they and maybe post some pics?

Ding Ding

The main reason I purchased this NOS 820 (besides the price lol) was the fact that it was a CCW PTO. So many 820's are CW rotation and I have no use for that. This one had 2 .062" head gaskets for low compression. I want to try a .032" but I want to be able to still pull start it and not blow apart the super cool fairbanks morse pull starter. I agree, they look better.

Wow 3 820 powered mini's? What are they and maybe post some pics?
I would swap out the Tecumseh style air filter you are using for one of these--> https://www.ebay.com/itm/2544500288...uid=SzQmV7kOQn6&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

My 820 bikes are all Arctic Cats. 2 Screamers, and 1 Experimental(non-production) SSScat II. Can be seen here-->https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/mini-bikes-in-your-house.177517/#post-1303205

Sprocket86

I would swap out the Tecumseh style air filter you are using for one of these--> https://www.ebay.com/itm/2544500288...uid=SzQmV7kOQn6&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

My 820 bikes are all Arctic Cats. 2 Screamers, and 1 Experimental(non-production) SSScat II. Can be seen here-->https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/mini-bikes-in-your-house.177517/#post-1303205
I defiantly need to ditch the Tec air filter. Probably too restrictive and I don't like how heavy it is. I feel it would place stress on the carb mounting flange over bumps etc.

Nice and those are real gems. So rare! Would you be able to send me any pics of the exhaust system?

race

I defiantly need to ditch the Tec air filter. Probably too restrictive and I don't like how heavy it is. I feel it would place stress on the carb mounting flange over bumps etc.

Nice and those are real gems. So rare! Would you be able to send me any pics of the exhaust system?

You guys might want to look into having a compression release installed so you're not snapping cords or destroying your recoil .... especially if you've bumped up the compression with a thinner head gasket. Plus saving your arm and shoulder some grief! lol

IMG_0004.JPG See the red button. You just push it in after each pull to reset it. Once it fires up it stays in the out position.

Frank Moore installed one on mine but there are probably others that can do it as well. As far as exhaust I'm real interested to see what you come up with. My bike is not together yet but ideally I'd like to use a real expansion chamber (for the 'free' power boost) but might be tough to get one to fit. And then trying to get a silencer on it? Maybe a Horstman or Azusa repop?

Sprocket86

I have thought about going that route. A FB group member said he can pull start a .032" head gasket 820 as long as the ignition timing is not to far advanced. I am going to give it a shot. The next thickest head gasket is a .039" so I might have to use that.

The exhaust has been the most challenging aspect of this build and I knew it would be. Ideally a complete Arctic Cat Screamer exhaust set up would be perfect. I have thought about that as well. It would be $$ and might be too much HP lol. I didn't know Horstman or Azusa made those.

I think I have found an exhaust system that is going to work pretty good.

I saved a Honda Fit or Civic (can't remember) from my auto shop many months ago when I started this project. Just had that feeling it might work.

Turns out it quiets this 820 down really nice without restricting the power output from what I can tell. The fit was great and easy to mount. Hopefully the internal glass packing doesn't get soaked in 2 stroke oil spooge and end up making a dripping mess. IMG_1485.jpg IMG_1484.jpg

Quick update.

I have installed the .032" head gasket and the HL-232 carb. Right away I can feel a power difference and the idle quality is better.

I have zero issues pull starting this engine with the .032" head gasket. I know my ignition timing could be set more advanced but this is where I will run into starting issues more than likely.