West bend ice sled

MikeBear

Those were big back in the early to mid-'60's. They have a spinning wheel with ice spikes in them, that digs into the ice and kicks the sled along.

I was looking for one (Simko power sled) a couple years ago, but most of them were used down around the Detroit area where they were sold. Here's an story about them: PP15488

I'd like to find some old Simko plans out there....

Last edited:
I did some reading on this neat machine, since I was interested in it as posted here. Steering results in more of a power slide, and one of the features quoted in the magazines was that you couldn't flip it.

The wheel is adjustable, but from what I read, it seems like you pre-set it first? It'll run on hard pack snow as well as ice. Supposedly they'll run pretty good at sixty.

I hate cold, that's why I live in the desert. But seeing this makes me wish I could hang out on a frozen lake once in awhile. Great find, and this machine looks to be in great shape. I'd restore it. I'd over restore it, and park it next to Arctic Cats and other sleds and make them feel inadequate. :thumbsup: