Western Flyer SS300 project

Finished up most of my other projects just waiting on a chain and a clutch for the Thunderbird so started on my Western Flyer, was more rusty than I thought so had to use some rust remover and than sand it down. Still some rust so got some Rust -oleum rust reformer and that did pretty pretty good but I can see where the rust has pitted small grooves into the metal.

Hey neighbor,i am going to finish up my western auto bike also.I would like a nice decal like yours for my forks,where did you get it /do you have any to sell.I'll post a shot of mine later today.I just have to paint an engine and put throttle and brakes on it. Paul

Front forks and frame coated with Rust -oleum rust reformer. Plans are to keep it a plain jane with frame painted basic Rust -oleum red. Had the wheels and tires & purchased a new seat & a new predator motor so just need a clutch & chain . Oh and i'm still not done with frame but sprayed a little red to see how it will look when finished.

Hey Paul the decals were printed on sign material (yard signs) by the crafty wife, we are still experimenting with it - need to coat it with laquer to see how it holds up but I will tll her your interested.

Bobscooters

still working on the WF was hoping to have it almost finished but even though it is solid it has alot of rust pits to fill in and sand down, i'm in no hurry but time consuming. I guess I could order the clutch and thottle asssembly as I have the rest of the stuff i'm anxious to paint and ride :scooter:

Bobscooters

Well I filled in and sanded as much as I could on the frame and it is primed and ready to paint red hopefully tommorrow. I open up and pulled out my new 7 hp predator just to make sure it would fit the frame, I also ordered a new clutch, chain, fenders and throttle assembly - maybe Monday it will be a roller !

Wow where has the time gone, have sanded and primed and filled in numberous pit holes on frame just can't get it to my liking but it's going to be a rider so the other day we were having a indian summer in December so I put a couple coat of red and finished with a clear coat to finish it off. from a distance it looks pretty good but up close it's no show bike but when I throw on the new 7 hp HF motor , chain, seat and other goodies I will be ready to ride. can't wait to put the new decal on the front forks.

markus

Looking good, did you see there was a correct chainguard available on ebay last week? I din't know if he sold it, It shows reserve not met. I finally sold my ss300, of course a few days after I sold it that chainguard came up:doah: Oh well, needed to make room anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mini-Bike-Western-Flyer-Trail-Bike-SS-300-Chain-Guard-/181035100198?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a26886826&nma=true&si=yhooa0TUATtOgFZj3%2FGhCOFrQHY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Oh yea, mine "clunked" terribly for some reason at the front "suspension" it was when it relaxed again and the top of the tree hit the headtube. I was thinking a fiber/plastic washer or something like that but never got around to it.

Last edited:
thanks guys other than the frame and forks there are no other original parts but rusted front fender so other than seeing the Western Flyer decal on the front it looks like a generic bike but i just building it as a rider, it kinda reminds me of one of those $100. minibikes sold by all the stores in America except this puppy won't have a little 2 1/2 briggs but a 7 hp predator.:scooter:

Wow 2 months and i'm still not done with my WF, had to order some new ft wheel bearings and since the right handlebar where the throttle goes is ate up with rust I have decided to go with a brake lever as my throttle - have one on another mini and I kind of like it. I mounted the motor and yeah the gas cap is close to frame but decided to leave it alone as it's just a rider and trying to keep it a bare basic bike. I finished my Rupp c250 the other week and yet to put gas in the tank - been busy and one day is cold and wet the next warm and 70f. rest of parts should be here in few days. :scooter:

wife printed on the WF trail bike decal, the WF decal on the fork I got off ebay to dress it up . I'm trying to keep it plain jane for the $100. old skool look - I remember Sears and a lot of other place having the plain jane red strip down minibike for $99. with a 2 1/2 hp motor , ok so mine is a 7 hp Predator motor as a kid I would have killed myself with 7 hp now I may only hurt myself :laugh:

thanks for the comments, i finally found cables that have the drum that will fit in the brake levers - gee you think they would make one size fit all. should be riding next week if i can afford the gas. i have yet to start my Rupp since refinishing it - think i will start them both on the same day.. :scooter: