What a pain in the butt....time to replace the seat on the Hawg-TY

The original seat is double sprung, heavy duty vinyl covered with a steel seat pan. The support rods have taken such a beating in the 1,100 miles off road they can no longer keep the springs from moving sideways. I really can't complain too much.
Many of the new seats today use a plastic seat pan and they will not hold up to mountain trail riding,especially when it is cold.
After many hours of searching I found a heavy duty seat that is Triple sprung ( a lever spring under the nose of the saddle) and has a steel seat pan and is covered in real Naugahyde. ( hard to find these days)
All of the under-pinning's are nickle plated for rust protection.
While not a cheap seat, it should hold up well.
He gave me a very good description of the seat,but only one photo was sent, free shipping back if I don't like it but he says no one has ever sent one back for refund..
seat.jpg

Here is the underside of a non-nickle plated spring set with vinyl seat covering.
This spring set up is very strong and can really absorb shock. Even this one will wear out in a few years.
seat2.jpg
Here is a side view of the type of seat I bought to show the shock absorbing spring set up.
seat3.jpg
The funnel shaped springs stop vibrations and absorb most of the "normal" shock forces with the larger open coils being the heaviest of the shock absorbers. The one on the nose of the seat prevents rebound shocks to the groin.
The large ring is called a Crash Guard. But it also prevents the seat from moving or twisting when you shift your weight and throw the bike into a tight turn.
Many of today's type seats are very comfortable but will not hold up as well as this older style seat on the trails I ride.
I'm 6 foot, 200 hundred pounds, and the spring coil tension is adjustable for more than my weight.
The ride is very comfortable with little of the hard shocks being transferred to your spine.

Last edited: