What am I missing on carb?

buckeye

This is my favorite Briggs engine.
The only issue I have, the screw that holds the choke to the carb body gets loose and I am afraid I am going to loose it.

I tighten it as tight as I can. To the point that you can barely engage the choke.

The issue is, as soon as I close the choke, the screw come loose.

What am I missing??? Thanks in advance.

125ccCrazy

Is it a shoulder bolt or just a standard screw? sounds like a screw since you can't over tighten a shoulder bolt to the point it binds on the choke lever..well not if it's the proper bolt for the application.. If it is a shoulder bolt the washer may be too thick or too many washers..

Last edited:

buckeye

Thanks Randy.
If you are talking about a long bolt that is staggered in diameter, and just has threads where it screws into the carb body, that's it.
Should there be some kind of serrated washer or something?

Thanks. I'll remove a washer or two.:thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

Thanks Randy.
If you are talking about a long bolt that is staggered in diameter, and just has threads where it screws into the carb body, that's it.
Should there be some kind of serrated washer or something?

Thanks. I'll remove a washer or two.:thumbsup:
yep that's it, the end closest to the head of the bolt is bigger with no threads and that fits the hole on the choke arm.. usually a spring washer is used on a shoulder bolt but they tend to get replaced with plain washers when the correct washer gets lost over time from repair or maintenance.. if the washer is too thick or too many used it just sandwiches the arm between the bolt head and carb body... it should have a washer similar to this

125ccCrazy

I think I remember that falling on the garage floor about 2yrs ago.:laugh:
That is it. Thank you.:thumbsup:
LOL that's what happens... they are so thin and small it's easy to loose one.. a local hardware or mower shop might have some... glad I could shed some light on the situation.

buckeye

Gosh Bill, I'd have to look.
Hey, come on over to Loxley on the 27th.
Little get together. Would love ya to be there!

As much as I would like to my health is not up to it. Bad enough that just walking from my bedroom to the kitchen to make coffee leaves me short of breath. Being on oxygen doesn't help if your lungs can't absorb it. But I still keep busy best I can. Motor 25 is waiting for me to put it back together, then on to motor #26,lol.