What are mini bike correct motors/plates?

Triley41395

I see motors advertised as mini bike correct. Is there something in the serial numbers that says it was from a mini or is it just the size and year so it could have been on one. I've seen serial number plates advertised that way also. I'm just trying to gather some knowledge on what to look for when restoring an old bike.

nightgrider

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members will know for sure. But as just a casual observation. There are definitely specific engines brand, size, etc that factory mini bike manufacturers typically tend to prefer. And some brands like Tecumseh have different cylinder configurations for the exhaust and intake ports that are more suited to mini bikes as apposed to say snow blowers. As an example I don't think I've ever seen a factory Rupp Roadster with a Briggs engine, always a Tecumseh.

mustangfrank

I see motors advertised as mini bike correct. Is there something in the serial numbers that says it was from a mini or is it just the size and year so it could have been on one. I've seen serial number plates advertised that way also. I'm just trying to gather some knowledge on what to look for when restoring an old bike.
"Mini bike correct" seems to be applied to any engine that would look correct bolted in a frame now, with a minibike throttle setup and 3/4" shaft. There are certain engine configurations sold to bike manufacturers and engines sold outright for bikes and karts that would be truly "correct". The engine configuration is in the numbers (XXXXX) after the engine model (HS40-XXXXX).

Last edited:

mustangfrank

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members will know for sure. But as just a casual observation. There are definitely specific engines brand, size, etc that factory mini bike manufacturers typically tend to prefer. And some brands like Tecumseh have different cylinder configurations for the exhaust and intake ports that are more suited to mini bikes as apposed to say snow blowers. As an example I don't think I've ever seen a factory Rupp Roadster with a Briggs engine, always a Tecumseh.
You won't see any factory installed Briggs engines in minibikes or karts from somewhere in 1969 until the 80s again, Briggs decided not to sell their engines to recreational manufacturers. Look it up, kind of a cool story in minibike history.

You won't see any factory installed Briggs engines in minibikes or karts from somewhere in 1969 until the 80s again, Briggs decided not to sell their engines to recreational manufacturers. Look it up, kind of a cool story in minibike history.
I don't know about minibikes or karts, but I know that Sperry installed a ton of 5hp and 8hp Briggs engines on their trikes up until about 1973.