What bike do i have here?

Addicted 2 Minis

It's definitely worth a proper restoration, not many around. If you have the original fenders, rusty or not, keep them, they are one of the hardest original parts to find.

PatrickCraik

Whats the difference between the Harrison and Ruttman? They look the same to me other than maybe a jackshaft? Did one company make the frames/forks for the other? Thanks

Addicted 2 Minis

Whats the difference between the Harrison and Ruttman? They look the same to me other than maybe a jackshaft? Did one company make the frames/forks for the other? Thanks
I'm no expert but I'll give it a shot. Ruttman uses seat post style handlebar clamps, Harrison uses motorcycle style. The steer tube on the Ruttman is larger in diameter. Ruttman had a clutch to jackshaft that drove a right hand drive sprocket while using a jackshaft brake. Harrison used a torque converter and mostly a left hand drive sprocket with internal brake. I have seen some with the torque converter driving a jackshaft but unsure if they were original. This also brings to attention that Ruttman, having used a regular clutch, the clutch cover was different too. Ruttman had a flat clutch cover while Harrison had the bump in it to accommodate the torque converter. The axle strap angles are different, Ruttman's appear to be 45 degrees while the Harrison appears to be 60 degrees in relation to the lower frame tube. I'm not sure if the handlebars are the same, I know by the time the Pac-Mule came out they were different. As far as being made by the same manufacture, I can't say for sure but it sure looks like it.

I'm no expert but I'll give it a shot. Ruttman uses seat post style handlebar clamps, Harrison uses motorcycle style. The steer tube on the Ruttman is larger in diameter. Ruttman had a clutch to jackshaft that drove a right hand drive sprocket while using a jackshaft brake. Harrison used a torque converter and mostly a left hand drive sprocket with internal brake. I have seen some with the torque converter driving a jackshaft but unsure if they were original. This also brings to attention that Ruttman, having used a regular clutch, the clutch cover was different too. Ruttman had a flat clutch cover while Harrison had the bump in it to accommodate the torque converter. The axle strap angles are different, Ruttman's appear to be 45 degrees while the Harrison appears to be 60 degrees in relation to the lower frame tube. I'm not sure if the handlebars are the same, I know by the time the Pac-Mule came out they were different. As far as being made by the same manufacture, I can't say for sure but it sure looks like it.
Yes on some stuff..no on others. Basically at that point Harrison was bending up the bigger frames for Ruttman. Which is why they are so close. Big long story about that controversy.
*side note...Allied Leasure had the puck and brake band NOS.

PatrickCraik

I trashed picked a perfect one,straight frame, wheels and seat anyway. I think a Harrison now that the h/bars were mentioned. I didn't think I'd ever do anything with it so I sold it. Probably a bad idea but I simply had too many @ that time. They were much easier to get 10-12 years ago.

i looked under the seat that I have and the Ruttman logo is there so its a judge. sadly I don't have the fenders but I'm going to try and fabricate a set next week. I also bought the wrong band brake so im going to put it on the clutch or weld the old clutch onto the jackshaft. what is recommended

i looked under the seat that I have and the Ruttman logo is there so its a judge. sadly I don't have the fenders but I'm going to try and fabricate a set next week. I also bought the wrong band brake so im going to put it on the clutch or weld the old clutch onto the jackshaft. what is recommended
I would opt for the clutch brake, easier to undo if you decide to restore it back to original. Just don't cut anything off that frame!, this is like the third one that I know of, not to say there aren't more out there, you just don't see them often.

I would opt for the clutch brake, easier to undo if you decide to restore it back to original. Just don't cut anything off that frame!, this is like the third one that I know of, not to say there aren't more out there, you just don't see them often.
There are a bunch out there...but most just call them a Harrison. But yes..just go with a clutch brake..much gooder idea.