What can you tell me about HS40 ball bearing covers? (HS50?)

What can you tell me about HS40 ball bearing covers? are there different size ball bearing versions? wouldn't be the same part number as an HS50? Does it matter the crankshaft in my HS40? I ask because i'm under the impression there were different crankshafts for the HS40.

markus

"small frame" sidecovers were the same for 3.5-5hp from the 70's through to the end. The all used the same bearing as well. The only differences with part numbers are casting updates and oil fill locations. so as long as your crankshaft is for a Ball bearing it will work with a ball bearing sidecover.

"small frame" sidecovers were the same for 3.5-5hp from the 70's through to the end. The all used the same bearing as well. The only differences with part numbers are casting updates and oil fill locations. so as long as your crankshaft is for a Ball bearing it will work with a ball bearing sidecover.
mine had a regular side cover. i want to upgrade. it came off what i think was a RUPP or very similar to.

delray

just to add to what markus was telling you about your crankshaft being a ball bearing type would be the machine groove for the snap ring that go's on after the bearing and crank is installed ,but before the pto crank seal is installed.

i don't know if the bearing is the same for a ohh-motor? tecumseh number i have for a ohh -crank is a 36732
flathead might be different and the only part that would be different ,maybe the outside dem's bearing? crankshaft dem's would be the same.
what i am really trying to get too is the price for a bearing. i see some guys on ebay marking the bearing way up$$
listing it has a rupp bearing. one of my bearings came in a tecumseh OEM box with the correct bearing side cover i purchase and on the bearing stamp 6205 peer. look it up on ebay and you can get it for less then $5 ship to your door:thumbsup:

if that's true it sounds like i could just get measurements form someone and pop my crankshaft on the lathe for a quick minute. as if that wasn't cheap enough, i bet someone has measurements for the bearing as well.

all i need now is to source a side cover! :)

delray

my crank measurement is about .575 from the gear to the edge of where the groove starts and the groove looks to be .075
outside crank 1inch and the groove is cut down to .945
i would think a ohh-motor would be the same? need a flathead guy to chim in.......

yes, just chuck it up in a lathe and cut a groove. i'm just a hobby's guy on a lathe, i would think a cut off tool would work good.
leave a nice straight edge cut.
i just pick up nice new ohh-crankshaft with a 3inch 3/4 keyway for $35 ship to my door from ebay and plan on doing the same thing...cutting a groove...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

markus

None of the OHH parts cross, journal is bigger as is the bearing. journal size on the small frame bearing supported is .7864 max on the bearing side and .781 on the seal side, you'll have to cut a bushing journal crank down to that from .9990 and use the correct sized bearing for the small frame Tecumseh part number 28458

delray

delray
need a flathead guy to chim in.....
thanks markus , i had my doubts on the older 4hp points engines, unless he had the newer type?
do you have any older style cranks with the groove cut in them ?

Last edited:

markus

delray
thanks markus , i had my doubts on the older 4hp points engines, unless he had the newer type?
do you have any older style cranks with the groove cut in them ?
Yes, I have new and old versions, in H35 HS40's and HS50's. While the crankshafts differ depending on specific horsepower, They are all the same measurements in regards to the PTO side journal. they never varied that on the small frame splash oiling type engines.

cdoublejj, you can use a Rupp specific engine number (hs40 55388c was used for a couple of years) to find the specific part numbers (for the sidecover, c clip, seal, etc, so you know what to look for, Also the older Tecumseh master parts manuals have a section specific to the crankshaft measurements in the parts identification section that would probably be helpful if cutting a bushing one down. Let us know how it turns out (no pun intended) Seems doable, but no one ever comes on here saying they actually did it :shrug:

Good luck and happy holidays :thumbsup:

Just to confirm Markus. The actual H35 shaft is different then the HS40? However, the shaft could actually be used? For conversation both motors are mid 70's and have the mini bike style crankshaft with sealed bearings. I thought the cylinder width would determine the horse power and actual stroke is the same for both. Am I wrong?

markus

Just to confirm Markus. The actual H35 shaft is different then the HS40? However, the shaft could actually be used? For conversation both motors are mid 70's and have the mini bike style crankshaft with sealed bearings. I thought the cylinder width would determine the horse power and actual stroke is the same for both. Am I wrong?
the stroke was different between the small frame H and HS engines in the 1960's and 1970's. They (the H30-35) also had smaller diameter journals for Rod, block, and sidecover-if non ball bearing style. Crankshafts in that timeframe do not cross.