What carb can I use on this?

My son is finally old enough to have interest in getting my Bonanza up and running. I have this old 6 hp Briggs and the carb is all gummed up and not working.
20220625_163845.jpg
I found this old round tank that I was thinking might be cool to use instead of the original setup...
20220625_163854.jpg
My question: is there a non-in-tank carb that fits this size motor and would work well with a separate gravity-feed tank?

I would stay with the carb/tank combo that is already on the engine. That "Pulsa- Jet" carb is relatively easy to clean and rebuild (Youtube and Google are your friends!) and the parts are readily available and inexpensive.
Michael

joshua. c.

Mikuni vm22 carbs work real good and there is even jetting info in some of the older threads hear. If you do runn a Mikuni that will remove the govenor so Install a billet rod and billet flywheel first. ARC racing sells them. if thats a points motor switching to electronic ignition is easy and a good mod to reduce maintenence. There is also a briggs updraft carburator for this motor, they are hard to find but would retain the govenor making them an easyer cheeper option.

As creia mantioned unless he stock the carb is realy bad it should be fairly easy to clean up and get running. They are reliable good running carbs. If there is rust in the tank filling it with rocks or something else jagged edged with some whater and shaking it allot can clean it up nicely. (remove carb first) You should have seen what came out of the tank of a leaf blower I fixed recently, it looked like black sludge but it cleand up perfectly and ran great.

I would stay with the carb/tank combo that is already on the engine. That "Pulsa- Jet" carb is relatively easy to clean and rebuild (Youtube and Google are your friends!) and the parts are readily available and inexpensive.
Michael
Thanks for that info, is there probably a part number I can pull off the carb to use to find a rebuild kit on ebay?

As creia mantioned unless he stock the carb is realy bad it should be fairly easy to clean up and get running. They are reliable good running carbs. If there is rust in the tank filling it with rocks or something else jagged edged with some whater and shaking it allot can clean it up nicely. (remove carb first) You should have seen what came out of the tank of a leaf blower I fixed recently, it looked like black sludge but it cleand up perfectly and ran great.
That is a great tip, I think I'll give that a try!

Doc1976

On those slide choke carbs, ive had issues with them sucking air it the slide gets worn and loose. I use stock tank mounted carbs a lot and they do very well, as long as they are in good condition. Electrolysis works great for cleaning the tanks out, that's how I do it every time. Using a remote tank and different carb is fun too. You will just need to source a few parts like the intake manifold, and keep in mind the governor your motor has won't work on another style carb. And I wouldn't suggest running without the governor especially for a kid.

I bought a new replacement carb and my son and I cleaned out the old tank using the rock method. We were just about to paint it when I noticed it has pinholes in the bottom, rusted through!

Does anyone have one of these laying around they would part with at a low price?

I recently had Frank at F&B Racing make me a 45° manifold to fit a 22mm knock off Mikuni on a 5hp Briggs flathead engine. Could always hit him up if you need one as manifolds like that seem kind of hard to find. It wasn't cheap, but that's to be expected for a custom part.

Edit: added some pics after getting a PM requesting some.

Attachments

Last edited:

Minimichael

I recently had Frank at F&B Racing make me a 45° manifold to fit a 22mm knock off Mikuni on a 5hp Briggs flathead engine. Could always hit him up if you need one as manifolds like that seem kind of hard to find. It wasn't cheap, but that's to be expected for a custom part.
The slide carbs can prove a great deal -- in the event you can't find a good replacement tank (which can get pricey as well). A knock off slide carb can run circles around the stock Briggs carb, especially in terms of throttle responsiveness and range of control -- providing you're up to learning how they work. That's a nice looking manifold btw, Strigoi!