What do I have?

I thought it was a Bird (Sears, JC Penney, etc), but I can’t see anything that has the rear axle inside the frame. The Birds I see are all mounted on a weldment outside the frame. This also came with some clutch brake parts and there is a cable guide welded to the frame and a pulley to guide the brake cable. There is no indication that there was ever a scrub brake. The seat is also in very good condition and could original. Any info will be helpful. Thanks

6F593004-1103-40A2-8F6C-0E468C20E338.jpeg E2EEA057-ADA3-407B-84E6-9EDC8C55901F.jpeg A5B76821-17AF-42B9-AF64-660255DC713E.jpeg A47CE0FA-BBB2-4A10-B759-9B6166DF6437.jpeg

desert rat

It is set up for a disk caliper on the sprocket. The clutch brake is not set up right at all but it can be. I have seen the seat/ shock set up before but I'm not sure what it was. Did you get all the intake side of the motor? I would say from the frame size the motor is probably a GC160.

Markus is so good

Great! Thank you all. The motor is a GC160. The carb came in a bag of parts. However, I see that someone removed the governor, so I will likely replace the engine instead of fixing. Just for safety. I’m not sure it’s safe with the flywheel on these engines. That’s too bad, the previous owner said it ran but took the carb off to clean.

Last edited:

pomfish

Honda engines are very well balanced, unless you intend to drag race this bike or just hold it wide open for long periods of time you will be fine with normal use.
Get a cheap Tach and keep the revs under 4500.
JMHO
Good luck regardless of what you do with it.

Later,
Keith

desert rat

The governor is probably still in the motor, the nasty looking sealant is the original. To use the stock carb on that motor you have to use the governor arm so it should be in the box of parts. I have never seen a GC bypass the gov. with a stock carb myself. I really like using them if I don't have the original motor.

Attachments

Again, thank you all for the valuable information. Maybe I will attempt to get the GC160 running and just keep RPMs down. And also find a brake caliper for this.

markus

I had a feeling Markus would chime in, I remember him going over this a month or so ago but couldn't find the post.
Yea it seems to run like that, a particular odd model or version bike that you don't see for years suddenly pops up and then there are like three in within a couple of months of each other pop up randomly.

To the OP, the bummer is the particular brake caliper used has become a tough find. Problem with late model calipers is they dont seem to make one that has a backing plate that has threaded holes and rather they are bolt thru which causes a spacing issue since that setup is more commonly used in other types of applications. Bird even had their own backing plates cast for some reason on those bikes, if you ever find one it will actually have the bird name cast into it. Not sure if that means that they are cast thinner by a little bit or not compared to the other 200 series K&H/H&H backplates or not, only seen them in pictures.

I would consider a clutch brake to get you going and then watch for a caliper in your spare time if your current rear wheel/sprocket is in good working order if you are wanting to not alter the bike and try to actually save originality of the bike. The next version Golden pintos actually got a clutch brake along with a scrub (they also beefed up the headtube and extended the wheelbase). Its not ideal, its wear and extra heat on your clutch when its your go to full time use brake and if you loose a chain, you loose your brakes but they usually do brake good with them when setup properly.

desert rat

Markus is always spot on. If you have all the right stuff to go with the clutch brake do it and keep looking for the correct one for the sprocket.