What do we have here?

C2516264-212D-405C-8B58-343031A0AD32.jpeg 61951A27-1815-483E-9293-97230635C1CA.jpeg
It’s possible that the engine is original but I don’t know enough about Bird Engineering minis to say for sure. You can figure out the date of manufacture on your Briggs engine and that would be a good indicator. I’m not familiar with Briggs serial numbers etc but that info is available on the web. The gusset looks added to me also. Hopefully a Bird mini expert will see this thread and give you better answers.

Bird Brain

Certainly no expert here, however that frame has way too many Bird signature frame components at a glance to be a buzzard from any other brand of manufacture. I would agree its the Runabout in the brochure pictured. The rear gusset is a new one on me aswell, looks purpose added after the fact definatley, just for what i can't be sure. Anyway looks Very restorable and a Nice piece of history.

pomfish

Strap metal gusset thing welded seems to be a likely place to mount a bracket for water canteen, ala Boy Scouts.
Far as engine, never saw any bike made in that era with factory Briggs as they would not knowingly sell to mini bike mfg. at that time, potential liability issues.
Good beater bike and it does have the scrub brake shoe!

Clean it add parts needed and service engine if possible and ride it.

Strap metal gusset thing welded seems to be a likely place to mount a bracket for water canteen, ala Boy Scouts.
Far as engine, never saw any bike made in that era with factory Briggs as they would not knowingly sell to mini bike mfg. at that time, potential liability issues.
Good beater bike and it does have the scrub brake shoe!

Clean it add parts needed and service engine if possible and ride it.
If that mini is 1970 or before it could have had a Briggs engine though I don’t think sears/bird minis used anything but Tecumseh engines.(At least not that I can find) Steen/Taco minis used primarily B&S engines until 1970 when B&S pulled out of supplying mini bike engines due to the liability issues you spoke of. I’m not sure of the model year of the runabout but it looks late 60’s to me.

Mr. Pink

It looks like the Sears I had as a kid.
Paid $109 with money I earned delivering newspapers.
It is also looking like the original fenders were replaced with a poorly made fabrication.
And yes, it originally came with a 3 hp Tecumseh.

1972searsfallwinter (2).jpg