What do you do?

I do mechanical design work, CAD (Computer Aided Drafting), I use Autocad and now I am using MicroStation. I am currently drawing HVAC units showing duct routing and machine installs, I know nothing about HVAC but know how to draw and give direction on how to install and the parts and stands used when installing. I have been doing drafting work most of my life, but would much rather have a manufacturing job or a fabrication job where I was building stuff. I just get tired of sitting behind a desk all day, that part doesn't interest me anymore.
I have a certificate in civil and architectural CAD Technology.......i think thats what it said anyway. Was a 2 year course. Covered everything from framing plans, to heating and electrical layouts. Always wanted to be an Architect and thought understanding CAD and drawings was a good start.
I was hired right out of this course and got into doing commercial roof plans.
However they hired me because i new CAD not because i would be using it there really. They sent me off for training on there software program designed for roofs. Long story short did this for a few years, got laid off, and went into a differant field. Never went back to CAD. Sometimes i wonder if it ever really was what i wanted to do. I liked the drawing but to be honest....im not a desk guy. I need to be moving.....and I dont mind getting dirty! Anyway CAD is some cool stuff and is used in LOTS of fields. If you are thinking about a job in fabrication then you are one up on alot of guys just by knowing the program and how to use it. Who wouldnt want to hire a guy that can make a drawing for a part and then produce what he drew. Thats a win, win in my eyes. Ive been out of the field for along time now so im not sure what the demand is for building, etc right now. But fabrication....well that will go on forever!

Wow there are a lot of guys on this site with a lot of cool job, and there is a fair bit of diversity of what each person does. I forgot to mention that during the summer I am the maintenance man at a beach community 15 minutes from me, and in the winter I help my dad feed cows on our farm. :thumbsup:

buckeye

I can't resist. I also worked for plastic and reconstrutive surgeons for about 6 years. Primarily as a microsurgical assistant helping put fingers back on and other parts. But as you know plastic surgeons also do some body enhancements. During one such procedure there is a chance that a vital nerve could accidently get severed. So postop my job was to make sure there was sensation in this particular area. Somebody had to do it.

I work for a multi-million dollar beef and sheep ranch. Their ranch is about half the county i live in. I help with maintenance, feed, heat checks, Artificial insemination, assisting during lambing and calving, worm, vaccinate, brand, castrate you know the whole nine yards. They also own a hay trucking business so during the hay season I drive a hay squeeze. Lots of hours go into it and I'm often gone 4-10 days at a time traveling to get truck loads of hay. After Im out of high school I'm gonna hit up our local JC which is the best in the state and then I hope to transfer to CAl Poly, Chico State, Texas A&M, or Cornell University. I want to major in agribusiness, animal sciences, or agricultural education. Then I hope to run a successful ranch, be a mobile diesel repair mechanic/mobile welder or even become a AG teacher.

I bring you gas!!Natural that is,and oil.Heavy equipment operator.Installing new gas and oil pipelines.Repairing also.Yes i am the one digging up high pressure gas lines.One mistake and you could kill everyone around.I operate all heavy equipment,you name it,except the discumbubilator!!

I can't resist. I also worked for plastic and reconstrutive surgeons for about 6 years. Primarily as a microsurgical assistant helping put fingers back on and other parts. But as you know plastic surgeons also do some body enhancements. During one such procedure there is a chance that a vital nerve could accidently get severed. So postop my job was to make sure there was sensation in this particular area. Somebody had to do it.
So you had to make sure folks could blow their nose after they had it fixed????
Yukky

I work for a multi-million dollar beef and sheep ranch. Their ranch is about half the county i live in. I help with maintenance, feed, heat checks, Artificial insemination, assisting during lambing and calving, worm, vaccinate, brand, castrate you know the whole nine yards. They also own a hay trucking business so during the hay season I drive a hay squeeze. Lots of hours go into it and I'm often gone 4-10 days at a time traveling to get truck loads of hay. After Im out of high school I'm gonna hit up our local JC which is the best in the state and then I hope to transfer to CAl Poly, Chico State, Texas A&M, or Cornell University. I want to major in agribusiness, animal sciences, or agricultural education. Then I hope to run a successful ranch, be a mobile diesel repair mechanic/mobile welder or even become a AG teacher.
That's a cool forklift!

Ive been a sales guy for home improvements for 26 years. Ive just recently started selling on my own and founded Window Liquidators of St.Louis. There is nothing like owning your own business.

Been in the steel fabrication trade for nearly 40 years, a combination of private industry and military contracts. Small to large. One large example was the contract with GM to build the dip tank line at the then new Poletown plant in Hamtramck, MI. Military work started with building hyperbaric systems U.S. Navy Seal training facilities to what we're doing now for the Submarine fleet of the U.S. Navy. We (my buddy and I) build portable filtration rigs that eliminate contamination in the high pressure filtration systems of the sub. For surface ships we build a larger system that filters oil between the tanker truck and ship. For the U.S. Army's Blackhawk & Apache helicopters we build a portable system designed to remove contamination as fluids are being transferred from the drum to the existing system. My role is structural design, fabrication, welding and assembly, his is sales and helping with assembly. In between military work I take on misc other welding services for almost anything that comes through the door. No job too small, such as the elderly lady down the street with the broken fireplace screen frame....for no charge of course.

buckeye

NEMetal, wow very diverse and a good guy as well. We need more folks helping out the little old lady down the street. And our military as well.