What is the cheapest way to get into mini bikes?

I was wondering how cheap I could get into the hobby. I'm beginning to learn mechanics and I thought learning how to work on a mini bike would help with working on a car engine. So whats the cheapest way to get into the hobby?

Vintage or cheap chinese. The mechanics are the same. Buy what you can afford. The more complete the better. Buying the parts gets more expensive so if you have all the parts and want to go through it you can go at your own pace and ability level. Check Craigslist in your area.

Since we are not talking in person and you can't read emotion in type... do not take this in the wrong way. Mini bikes are not a cheap hobby. The fact is there are vultures trolling every major outlet to purchase them. From Craigslist to Ebay and FB market place and so on. That is the only problem when a hobby grows so big. Which makes prices go through the roof on bikes and parts since most of us are adults and are ready to drop 300 bucks for a stupid clutch just because it is original to a build and may be the last part for it. This all being said...buy a Chinese Doodlebug. They are getting back to being cheap again and there are so many made that parts are everywhere. They have tons of mods and upgrades you can do that won't totally break the bank. But again...this is not a cheap hobby. And if you have the patience to hunt a vintage down...find a complete one or close to it like mentioned above. You spend enough time on Craigslist and even the sun shines on a dogs @ss once and awhile..lol. Good luck with your search and welcome to OldMiniBikes.

Well my first minibikes I made myself from scratch because I was too cheap to buy one. Now thats how you learn dive in head first! For the longest time the only money Id spend on them is for a clutch and a can of paint. Not may kids these days have the pieces around to pull that off. There isnt much related between modern cars and minibikes besides the tools to fix them. In my experience most people that work on cars have no clue about small engines and vice versa. If you really want to learn just pick up old lawnmowers out for trash and fix them up. You can sell them and make money to get a minibike then youll know how things work a bit better. Or maybe youll just stick to lawnmowers because theyll make you money instead of wasting it lol

All in a rider minibike for $300 or less is doing well. $500 is more realistic. Vintage correct restoration or performance $1,000+

The little things add up fast...clutch, carb kit, gas line, spark plug, head gasket, chain, recoil spring/rope, air filter, oil, muffler, cables, tires, tubes, seat, throttle grips, bearings etc...

Look for an old 5hp Tecumseh horizontal engine from a snow blower or Roto-tiller with a 3/4" PTO shaft for as cheap as you can if not free. Rebuild the carb, clean/set the points and do whatever to get it running. Any other junk small engines you find for free disassemble noting all the parts, how they work together and why you think it failed.

Get some books on small engines and read them like a novel

If you can repair/tune an old Tecumseh to start on 1st pull, idle like an old pocket watch and rev without hesitation you are on track to tackle any engine.

I was wondering how cheap I could get into the hobby. I'm beginning to learn mechanics and I thought learning how to work on a mini bike would help with working on a car engine. So whats the cheapest way to get into the hobby?
Not to be a smart *** but, to answer the OP’s question...
Inheritance, obtain an entire fabrication and repair shop with inventory, for free.
Just a quick idea.

Just a suggestion, but ask around , ask friends/family if they know anyone who may have old mini bikes sitting around. I have been given free bikes before just because I asked. Some folks are happy to give them away if they know they will be fixed up and used again. I wish you luck in your search!

joshua. c.

don't forget flee markets, most of the time the big ones based around car stuff are littered with mini bikes. some cheep some not. it may take searching a few to find the best deal. you get the best deals just before vendors start to leave but the best bikes are usually gone by then. best part about flee markets is you can buy a cheep frame from one guy and a cheep engine for it from another.

pomfish

I see very nice affordable bikes for sale every time at Windber.
Windber is a great place to sell and buy parts but probably a bad place to sell bikes as most of us have scrimped to even get there with the tolls, gas and lodging expenses.
Plus all the money we already spent on getting our bikes ready for the event.
That is why you see good rideable bikes going unsold or sold for less than they would on the un educated mini bike market.

I do not know where the OP is from, as they have not listed their location so can not point them to a local event.
I can say however that if they are on the East Coast, they need to seriously consider going to the Oley, PA Mini bike and Scooter show on May 10 and 11th as there are lots of good runners there for less than you will pay for a China Scrapheap.

Good vintage bikes are out there, you just have to ask around and do some leg work or better yet ask here for bikes in your area that may be available but not posted to Faceplant or Craig's.

HTH
Later,

Keith

Set an alert for mini bike on your local Craigslist it will buzz you the minute one is posted that's about the only way to get one in this area you don't have to be first and ready with cash. Mark