What is the most powerful engine you can safely install on a Coleman CT200u?

I'm not the most mechanically Advanced person by any means, however I was just wondering what the most powerful engine you can fit on that bike is because I am definitely interested in adding as many modifications that I possibly can to make the bike as fast as it can possibly go safely without the wheels flying off of it. Money is no object. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you very much.

MJL

A few people have crammed big V twin Vanguard type engines into mini bikes. Another option would be a used motorcycle or ATV engine. Both would require a fair bit of mechanical skill to pull off. The brakes and wheel bearings would also need to be upgraded. The lack of suspension will beat you to death on any type of terrain. For the trouble, I'd just by a used pit bike. If money's no object, I start with a TAV and a stage 4 kit (including flywheel) from OldMiniBikes on the stock engine. That'll keep you busy for a while, build your skills, and make it plenty fast enough to hurt yourself!

Last edited:
Being you aren't the most technically advanced person, Perhaps you can buy something that is already done.
I have a restored Sears Puddle jumper I'll sell you. It has front and rear shocks, torque converter and a 10 hp Briggs. Enough power you have to be careful taking off as it will wheelie and throw you on the ground. $1000 ready to ride.

If you want to do it yourself I would suggest something with a front and rear suspension and a strong frame. Colemans aren't super strong in the frame department.
You can build up a 212 predator to 20 hp. Of course you'll need methanol and a wheelie bar for that :)

You can also build up a 301 or 420 Predator provided your frame has enough room for one.
Briggs makes a 14hp World Formula engine that would work well, but pricey.
An old Tecumseh Star race engine would do well too not to mention a motorcycle or snowmobile engine. My suggestion would be to stay air cooled as water cooling adds a lot of complexity to the build.

Danford1

Last edited:
What kind of riding do you want to do, if your off road in the trails/hilly twisty areas I would go with a 4 stroke engine, something with lots of torque and mid range, if you like to get out on the straight open road where you can crack the throttle for miles I would go with a high reving 2 stroke racing engine, top end is where these things shine..........Like was stated before, you will need to upgrade some things on your mini for safety..........Tom.