What is "Vintage" really?

Addicted 2 Minis

Most of us here are in our 40's, 50's and 60's. When I think "Vintage", I think of the bikes that were available in the 60's and 70's because that's what I grew up with. Now, when using the term "Vintage" while searching for parts and whatnot, I find Razor go-karts and Baja mini bikes. Really?, people consider this Chinese crap to be "Vintage"?. Then I start thinking, well, the Baja Doodlebug hasn't been made for about 10 years now or thereabouts. I guess someone in their 20's-30's now would have grown up with a Razor go-kart or Baja mini bike and thus it would be "Vintage" to them. I know with cars most agree that over 20-25 years old makes it "Historic". Cars were meant to last longer than mini bikes and go-karts but it seems there are plenty of mini bikes and go-karts older than 20-25 years that are still around. The way I see it is, if you can still buy new parts for it from major vendors, it's not "Vintage" in my book, try buying a new wheel for your Cat mini bike from Monster Scooter Parts, Hahahaha.

Vintage_Baja_DB30S.png Vintage_Razor_GoKart.png

Last edited:

old shed finds

Most of us here are in our 40's, 50's and 60's. When I think "Vintage", I think of the bikes that were available in the 60's and 70's because that's what I grew up with. Now, when using the term "Vintage" while searching for parts and whatnot, I find Razor go-karts and Baja mini bikes. Really?, people consider this Chinese crap to be "Vintage"?. Then I start thinking, well, the Baja Doodlebug hasn't been made for about 10 years now or thereabouts. I guess someone in their 20's-30's now would have grown up with a Razor go-kart or Baja mini bike and thus it would be "Vintage" to them. I know with cars most agree that over 20-25 years old makes it "Historic". Cars were meant to last longer than mini bikes and go-karts but it seems there are plenty of mini bikes and go-karts older than 20-25 years that are still around. The way I see it is, if you can still buy new parts for it from major vendors, it's not "Vintage" in my book, try buying a new wheel for your Cat mini bike from Monster Scooter Parts, Hahahaha.

View attachment 273852 View attachment 273853
Well point made. .
Its very cheesie to see a china crap thing listed in our town adds under vintage Tote Gote or Mini Bike.Lol.....

Addicted 2 Minis

Good question...according to most anything older than 20 years could be considered vintage. 40 years or older is antique. I really think vintage should be 30 or older...but this is coming from an antique. lol
Time sure does fly by, it seems like only yesterday that those "Vintage" Baja bikes were at the hardware store. I guess our Go Kart Cycles, Flexo's, Caper Cycles, Tote Gote's, Fox's, Lil Indians, Ruttman's, Cats and Rupp's should be classified as "Jesus" era.

Jesus.jpg

Last edited:
Ya..I cringe when I see a "Vintage" Doodlebug for sale add. The first generations are over 20 years old now and they are sure to point it out...lol. But I agree with @relicracing...ours were so much cooler.
I don't know where I saw it but I saw one listed as "Vintage mini bike, fully restored", then I saw it was a Baja Doodlebug. I was thinking to myself, how hard was it to go to Go Power Sports, Monster Scooter Parts and eBay, order BRAND NEW parts and put it together. When I see an ad for a "Vintage, fully restored Toyota Prius" is when I'm giving up at life!.

old shed finds

If you go by classified listing prices around here apparently you can buy a new Coleman in the store, ride it around, break a fender off, get mud all over it and list it up for 200 bucks more than you paid for it.
Same in my town too... Basically priced 400 bucks more than they are worth...Im so glad I gave my unkle 200 bucks for mine.( was like new condition) . but vibration so bad nobody wants to ride it

Let’s face it, we‘re getting older.
Alloy Harleys are now considered antiques at AMCA meets. 35 years old is the eligibility mark for that organization.
25 yrs. old is all that’s required for historic vehicle plates in NJ.
Guess that makes me a relic, at 57!
Hardly makes me “Worth” a mint or “Rare”, to anyone but the Mrs.
Glad she‘s into vintage, as well.

nightgrider

I agree with your definition of vintage @Addicted 2 Minis, but time does keep marching on. I understand the use of predator engines. Though they are pretty much the LS swap of the mini bike world. Don't know about your areas, but at least in my area you can't touch a flathead briggs or tecumseh for less than $75 and they always need work or are missing parts. So a $99 predator new in box is pretty attractive, unless you are going for a particular look. I will agree I prefer to see a flathead on a vintage mini bike. I would never throw a predator on a vintage mini bike and claim it was a full restoration though. And yes I have a predator on my fox campus, but it was what was on the bike when I bought it and I'm not doing a restoration... yet...

nightgrider

When I was younger I used to be more concerned about "originally". But as I've gotten older I've come to realize not everyone has the same means, budget, or goals. Mini bikes are meant for enjoyment and that has different definitions to each person. If someone can throw an engine on a bike and enjoy it, instead of it rusting away I'm perfectly fine with that. Now that doesn't mean I'm going to hack a vintage bike beyond recognition. But bolt on modifications that are easily reversible are ok in my book. I enjoyed both full restorations, a just for fun, or budget builds.

Last edited:
When I was younger I used to more concerned about "originally". But as I've gotten older I've come to realize not everyone has the same means, budget, or goals. Mini bikes are meant for enjoyment and that has different definitions to each person. If someone can throw an engine on a bike and enjoy it, instead of it rusting away I'm perfectly fine with that. Now that doesn't mean I'm going to hack a vintage bike beyond recognition. But bolt on modifications that are easily reversible are ok in my book. I enjoyed both full restorations, a just for fun, or budget builds.
Indeed, some of the coolest bikes I've seen have been budget builds. I like seeing what people can do on the cheap, heck, I even suggested to someone to use an old skateboard as a seat to give it that creative budget build, So-Cal skater look. While I tend to hunt down the parts and restore most of my projects back to their original "As new" condition, others are "Resto-Mods" and budget builds. My 68 Lil Indian was thrown together from what I had lying around and it was one of the funnest bikes I have. I say "was" because it's been in this 5 year semi-sudo restoration period. The good 'ole days of $20-$25 engines at the Flea Market seem to be over. It makes me feel even older to hear the term "Flathead" when talking about a mini bike, they were just Briggs, Tecumseh and Clintons before Honda came out with the "GX" series, "Flathead" was a term used for old Fords and Chryslers. It just seems that everyone is in a big hurry to make things old that as soon as they stop making it, it's "Vintage", although you can still buy every part for it brand new.

I74

Budget builds, more times than not ,, definitely have the most character .
Making parts ect. out of ''pretty much nothing'' stuff laying around & making them functional,, definitely puts an added personal touch & character on things. :cool:

NorCal

I have a DB30 that I believe was built in the early 2000's, I consider it "older" but not vintage. My 1968 Bonanza to me is vintage but I think the build quality (to me) is what makes it vintage by comparison of the Chinese Coleman crap.