What model Dunecycle is this?

There is no differential in mine. The encasement on the back looks completely factory. I cant see any way of putting a differential in it. I will get more pics of it when I get started on it. If there is a way to put a diff. in it I will...

mybiz

One of the Alsport factory race trikes was equipped with a Kohler free air 3 cylinder motor and huge expansion chambers and 3 flat slide carbs. Well they were at their test track with a professional driver getting ready to demonstrate this full blown RTS series machine to all the factory executives it was being built to race against the Dunecycles like yours.
Well they fired the machine up and the rider revved it up and nothing happened no clutch engagement and of course that brought out the shop mechanics and they couldn't fine any thing wrong , so they tried it again and when the top RPM hit the converter the trike did a back flip and just about killed that test driver and the executives gave that project the heave ho on the spot. How ever the motor got sold to a guy in Los Angeles and he put it on a Alsport. But never could get it working on the little speedway style track we used called Trogen Speedway. I built an absolute bare bones live axle trike with a McCulloch 101D engine with dual Alky carbs and a Horstman slipper wet clutch. The driver was Wayne Coppers and he was about 155 pounds soaking wet. That little trike regularly beat all comers even the big triple. That trike didn't even have a pad in the seat and was only 6 inches off the ground more like a 3 wheeled go kart. Those were the fun days of racing 2 and 3 nights a week all over Southern California places like Indian Dunes, Corona Raceway, Perris Raceway and of course Trogen. Big question how did so much fun not get captures on film not even a simple snap shot. Steve :scooter:
I just missed out on buying a allsport last night all original and the street legal model:doah: And it went real cheap:eek::eek::eek:

Alsport Three Wheelers

Differential

There is no differential in mine. The encasement on the back looks completely factory. I cant see any way of putting a differential in it. I will get more pics of it when I get started on it. If there is a way to put a diff. in it I will...
Boy I took a look again at your internal rust box. It looks like it was rode hard and put away wet and if it was all enclosed that would sure hide a lot of dirt and sand. Can you tell my what the sprocket sixes were on the main shaft and the jack shaft? There again I don't have the facts straight on what was a factory issue. Sure would be nice to someday find a dealers book all about the elusive Duncycle. Steve :scooter:

Boy I took a look again at your internal rust box. It looks like it was rode hard and put away wet and if it was all enclosed that would sure hide a lot of dirt and sand. Can you tell my what the sprocket sixes were on the main shaft and the jack shaft? There again I don't have the facts straight on what was a factory issue. Sure would be nice to someday find a dealers book all about the elusive Duncycle. Steve :scooter:
It was outside for years. So somehow water got in it. But it wouldnt come out until I opened it up. I have it soaking in mystery oil. I can redo the chains and bushings.The sprockets looked good. When I get to working on it again I will count the teeth on the sprockets. And get better pics of the enclosure to see if there is a way to put a diff. in there...

mybiz

Missed

And I see Twin carbs on that motor. That would of been a nice buy. I guess you better keep looking. Steve :scooter:
I was talking with him via email because he was 80 miles from me. I was happy with all he to me. So my next mail was to tell him to hold and send him a deposit by paypal. Well Soon as I hit the send button he sent me a sorry sold:sadcrying4: He got it in a package deal and $100 would have took it. He told me he had no use for it thats when i knew i could get it cheap. I miss lots of killer deals because of the distance. between me and the seller. Oh well bought a new laptop today instead. :xmas-smiley-016:

Thats a nice find you have there gumpit !! Its not a spider but a heavily modifed springer. Which whoever did the work to it definatly had experiance working them.
They moved the axle back to accomidate a duel jackshaft for the gearing. they use this for a couple of reasons 1) max gear on the driveshaft is 45 teeth untill your hitting the frame 2) you can only have so big of a diameter of a secondary clutch untill your either hitting axles, motor, spings etc 3) it puts your center of gravity up forward so your not having issues with it flipping over espcially with hard clutch engangment issues with a much bigger motor.
The mono leaf springs they use is a good idea because the original link desgin would hit on the motor casing.
here is a link to a unmodified frame
Untitled Document

I look forward to hearing how it turns out good luck !!

mybiz

Did you miss someting?

Thats a nice find you have there gumpit !! Its not a spider but a heavily modifed springer. Which whoever did the work to it definatly had experiance working them.
They moved the axle back to accomidate a duel jackshaft for the gearing. they use this for a couple of reasons 1) max gear on the driveshaft is 45 teeth untill your hitting the frame 2) you can only have so big of a diameter of a secondary clutch untill your either hitting axles, motor, spings etc 3) it puts your center of gravity up forward so your not having issues with it flipping over espcially with hard clutch engangment issues with a much bigger motor.
The mono leaf springs they use is a good idea because the original link desgin would hit on the motor casing.
here is a link to a unmodified frame
Untitled Document

I look forward to hearing how it turns out good luck !!
Days ago :stuart:
Its a Dunecycle Springer
The spider had no rear suspension! I use to have a spider W/Rockwell 340cc Super fast here is some info. Dune Cycle Three Wheelers

If you look at the 2 pics (mine and the unmodified frame?" you can see the frame is a bit different. I dont know if one was set up for a 2 stroke and one was set up for a 4 stroke. The engine mount on mine is at an angle.The one in the "unmodified frame" pic is flat. The "unmodified" has thinner iron where the seat sits and the shocks mount on the opposite side of the axle. What about the gas tank? I was told it was original. It even says Dunecycle on it. And I believe the rear end case is factory. I believe this trike has some interesting history to it...I just need to find out what it is. With so few around someone must be a collector....Randy

Last edited:
NOT A SPRINGER.... I have found the person who now owns the Dunecycle name and line. According to him "Randy,
this is a 500E. Not a Springer. Springer's came with 5hp or 8hp engines. They advertised a 101 McCulloch as well but it never was produced." I will be talking to him to find out what other info he has on it. He has the original parts manual too.

mybiz

To me everything looks to be original. When you talk with the guy ask him if any of the dunecycles had the Rockwell 340cc engines on them. Mine sure looked like it came from the factory with the 340. If it didn't some one sure did do one fine job. :bowdown:

He was busy so he said to call him next week. He said he had some seat cushions and stickers made up.And was going to be putting them online. He was also looking into re-introducing the Dunecycle in kit form. He did say that there were a lot of Dunecycles with the 340 and 440 motors. His father either raced or worked for Dunecycle back in the day. He is also restoring one similar to mine. He did say they were seldom raced because they were so heavy....... This should be an interesting project for sure.... Randy