What model / year?

I picked this up with intention of restoring. Attached is the Craigslist pic. The motor is not a bike motor and will not go on this. From the little research that I have done, it’s some kind of Bird. Is this Sears, JCP, other? Does anyone know the year or model? I need to make seat. Does anyone have seat dimensions or pics of original seats? What is the correct motor bran and size? I have a Honda GC160 that may go on this until I find the correct motor. If this fits without frame modification. 1BED97AF-5ED1-44B0-9E08-3189C29D63D1.jpeg

mustangfrank

I picked this up with intention of restoring. Attached is the Craigslist pic. The motor is not a bike motor and will not go on this. From the little research that I have done, it’s some kind of Bird. Is this Sears, JCP, other? Does anyone know the year or model? I need to make seat. Does anyone have seat dimensions or pics of original seats? What is the correct motor bran and size? I have a Honda GC160 that may go on this until I find the correct motor. If this fits without frame modification. View attachment 271629
I was #3 on the list to buy that if you flaked! Can't beat the price. I've never seen a template for a seat base online but if you're not going for concours correct, bolt those shocks on at an angle that makes sense and cut a nice piece of 3/4" plywood to a shape and size that you like. The member that posted before me does amazing seat upholstery.

Here's a related JCP mini, front seat mount is more tubular but otherwise the same frame.

a5720c5682cf804b7503e0b313113d05.jpg

markus

1972-73 Sears sold bike (fell under the Roper corporation at that time) they were the compitition yellow ones with the speed holes in the rear sprocket. they are very different from Bird and JC Penney bikes, they are 1" tubing, sloped upper frame rails, etc... Craftsman was the actual engines they used (they were made by Tecumseh and were virtually identical other than their decaling and engine numbers/tag.

1973 fall winter sears (3).jpg

mustangfrank

1972-73 Sears sold bike (fell under the Roper corporation at that time) they were the compitition yellow ones with the speed holes in the rear sprocket. they are very different from Bird and JC Penney bikes, they are 1" tubing, sloped upper frame rails, etc... Craftsman was the actual engines they used (they were made by Tecumseh and were virtually identical other than their decaling and engine numbers/tag.

View attachment 271671
Right on, I got hung up on the head tube gussets and ignored the down slope of the upper frame tubes.

mustangfrank

Thank you all for responding. This helps as I am new to Minibike restore (first one) and new to OldMiniBikes. Mustangfrank - I offered double the price (still a good price) for them to hold for me.
Smart move, he said he had a flurry of interest and at that price I believed him. I though about trying to buy my way to the front of the line but I had a feeling the new owner would show up here and I have way more on my plate than I should.

Glad you got it and welcome to the site, keep us posted with progress and pics.

Far from original. But still a lot of fun. I did find a scrub brake, and kick stand from another Sears bike that I bought because it had good chrome handle bars, but the forks D470885C-BD43-4E23-82AF-28B5B19AC3ED.jpeg were about 2” longer. Decided to stay with the original shorter ones. Debating to have them chromed, paint them chrome (silver) or paint them yellow. I made my own seat, obviously I’ll do better next time. Still looking for a HS40. I did get the bug, I have several projects now. JCP Golden Pinto, Sears, another JCP, and a MTD, which I had when I was a kid. Thanks everyone for the info and