What Source and Type for Exhaust Tubing?

Needing to build multiple custom exhausts. The diameter and wall thickness are easy to figure out, but I’m wondering what exact type tubing you guys have used with success? I will probably have the parts chromed once I’m done. I’m assuming the McMaster Carr will be my source for materials unless someone else has another suggestion.

As always gents, many thanks for your help!

Don

To answer you question specifically; it depends on your type of bender. Heavier wall tubing is more forgiving. I always use .065 wall tubing for exhaust. Heavier is fine but not necessary. McMaster is a great source and I would say rely on their descriptions to determine if the tubing your looking at will fit your needs. Standard tubing benders like JD benders work well but have a larger bend radius.

You didn’t state what engine your building exhaust for but if by chance they are predators, I do sell several different header styles for predators. Also if you are just looking for some mandrel bends I have those also. Check out my eBay store.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/jaegerspublic/m.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Many thanks all. I haven’t yet figured out what radii my bender is capable of, but I do certainly appreciate the advice regarding heavier walls being more forgiving. The several exhausts I’m making will all be mated to clones, but the header shape of each bike will be very unique.

Bought some raw materials for my exhaust projects. Haven’t welded in 40 years. Have never used a bender for anything bigger than 3/8 inch aluminum tubing, which was also 40 years ago.

What could go wrong?

Dont answer that, and don’t count on my posting pics of the work!

Last edited:
Bought 1” EMT to experiment with at first. If that’s not completely hideous then I will post pics and maybe try more expensive materials. I am honestly expecting throw a lot of material in the bin at first, and I’m ok with that. It will be a learning process.

Grind or sand blast the joints before welding... Mind you if it's all going to be chromed, might aswell as blast the length you'll need, then it'll be all good for welding and such...

94EDDF60-6EA8-4ECF-91C1-028A321FB978.jpeg .

I took two pieces of black pipe and cut them down the middle and welded them together. Then used the torch and bent one of them to get them parallel. Sorry about the bad weld job. I’m not a very good welder

Last edited: