What the "Experts" don't know, can hurt you!

Addicted 2 Minis

I'm starting a build based on a Tillotson 72mm block and was shopping for cylinder heads so I went to NR Racings website to check out what they had to offer. While browsing their "Race heads" section, I found an 18cc Honda UT2 head that peaked my interest. I noticed that "Milled .050" was selected by default and it confused me. Was it 18cc before being milled .050" or after? because the listing says 18cc head and .050" by default, one would assume it was 18cc after being milled. If I just added it to my cart and purchased it, I wouldn't receive an 18cc head, I would be receiving an 18cc head that was milled .050 and to me that's misleading if the end result I wanted was 18cc. I also noticed they had other milling options with no final "CC" of each particular option so I sent them an e-mail and here's what I got, then my reply, try not to laugh!.

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 4.03.58 AM.png Russell.png Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 4.06.49 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 4.03.14 AM.png NR_18cc.png

Addicted 2 Minis

The "Experts" at EC Carburetors are just as bad!. Even if the thickness information was added to the description after the question was asked, you'd think they would delete the question after updating the information because it makes them look like IDIOTS!.

EC_Carburetors_01.png

Addicted 2 Minis

What about the "Experts" at Go Power Sports you ask?. Well, according to EC Carburetors, the Tillotson 225RS piston is not forged, doesn't stop Go Power Sports from cashing in on it. This is why people encounter so many problems after purchasing such upgrades from these retailers. Oh, you want to go fast?, buy our 18cc head milled .050" and it will increase your compression. Oh, what you need is a .010" head gasket and a 58mm stroke crankshaft. Then after watching a YouTube video, they throw it all together, making sure to tighten all the bolts with a cordless impact, clearance the cam and rod with a disc grinder without balancing any of it. Then they wonder why they can't start it, or it vibrates, even worse, the flywheel becomes just that, a flying wheel! or it throws a rod out, right between the legs.

EC_Carburetors_02.png GPS_01.png

Addicted 2 Minis

I'm glad I don't build these engines. Seems like a lot of confusion with all the specs.
They only make it confusing because they don't know what they're selling. If they were clear and concise with specs and didn't leave out the "important" information, many more people could enjoy a well built dependable performance engine.

I went with a head from Paul's Karts for one of my builds. He built it exactly how I wanted. Good guy to work with and he does some really nice work. Not cheap though as my head was over $800.

I'd also consider the D&D billet head.

Attachments

Addicted 2 Minis

I went with a head from Paul's Karts for one of my builds. He built it exactly how I wanted. Good guy to work with and he does some really nice work. Not cheap though as my head was over $800.

I'd also consider the D&D billet head.
Yeah, those heads are some serious stuff, you can get a basic set of aluminum small block Chevy heads for not much more. I'm not that serious about my mini bike engines but I would at least like to think that I do the best I can with what I have. I try to go with best bang for buck aspect as I have too many things eating enough cash as it is.

I'm glad I'm part of this forum with the people that are in the know! Now that i am even more aware of that which i do not know, i hope I'm smart enuff to post it as such and be guided the right direction w/o throwing good money after bad, cuz i thot i knew what i was doing.
I have learned just enuff to know i know nothing... i do know that I'll ask here long B4 i do something stupid. I have enuff of those receipts! :confused: