What the heck is going on? Please help..

No sure what is going on to be honest and I tried attaching the video that I had my neighbor take that shows what’s going when I pull start the engine. I’ll try to explain the very best I can. Immediately after I pull start the engine it starts fine but it immediately wants to start ghost riding away and the engine or maybe it’s the clutch starts making an almost grinding or rubbing noise for I’d say 5 seconds then it stops then it starts again. It was working fine like 10-15 before then after I shut the bike down and started it up if when this problem started.. thanks in advance for any insight into this hopefully easily solvable issues

Hey thank you you have fixed my problem totally makes sense to me now haha can’t believe I forgot to oil the new clutch I just put on thank you again
I think I'm having this same issue.. when I try to cost to a stop once it slows down to a certain speed, it's like the clutch will engage and then once I start having to hit the breaks it'll die... Can you explain how you oiled the clutch? And what kind of oil you used? I hope my issue is the same as yours and an easy fix, thank you!

River Rat Ron

Youre awesome, thank you! I also found a video that helps too, just doesn't specify what type of oil
YVW
High temp wheel bearing grease, oil in a pinch.
If it’s dry and grabbing / chattery a little squirt of oil by the snap ring will help
That bushing likes grease, if the bushing is toast and the clutch bell is sloppy
Replace the bushing or clutch.

Frequency of lubrication directly relates to how hard and often you slip the clutch and how worn it is

Last edited:

Minimichael

This is good information, guys! Thanks for the diagram too. I've not yet taken one apart. The drop of oil at the clip is the only maintenance I knew of. And I suppose clutch slippage for a centrifugal like this on a one-speed mini is best controlled by having enough horsepower, and clutch spring tension?

River Rat Ron

Thanks @Minimichael
What the clutch has to endure depends on gearing, weight, tire size, terrain, horse power, etc…
There are so many variable demands on the performance of a clutch thankfully they are fairly forgiving.
Like anything the more you demand from it, the more often you have to maintain or replace it.
Ying Yang….find balance grasshopper

Last edited:

River Rat Ron

I would use grease on a full service to the clutch and oil in between rides till next clutch service or as needed. All depends on use.
I had to re word that a few times, didn’t want to be contradicting you. Obviously greasing a clutch would be a pain if you want to ride right now. My only concern is brake / clutch pads soak up oil and go to shit if someone gets carried away.

Lizardking

I had to re word that a few times, didn’t want to be contradicting you. Obviously greasing a clutch would be a pain if you want to ride right now. My only concern is brake / clutch pads soak up oil and go to shit if someone gets carried away.
No worries about contradicting.. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong and I would have learned something.

Most people (me included) aren't going to take the clutch apart to grease up the bushings before every ride. Especially since I don't ride my bikes hard, a drop of oil keeps things moving smoothly.

I find the hillard clutches often have this problem. Rarely on a max-torque or chinese knockoff. I guess the tolearances are tighter on the hillard. But the clutches that come on chinese bikes like the bajas seem to often come in with weak overheated springs that have not enough tension to return at idle. That could just be the way they were ridden. A bike with little power that slipps the clutch all the time will ruin it quick. Bikes with good power and proper gearing almost never slip the clutch and they last forever.