What to look for in a MIG?

Hey everyone, looking at buying a MIG welder and not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I've used a few different brands at work: Miller, Lincoln, Esab. I'm not really partial to one. I'd like to get a 250 since I do enough welding and weld heavier material up to 1/2" plate. Is there any specific features I should be looking for? Or brands/models that really stand out over another? I'll likely be buying a used welder, so is there anything to watch for when looking at them?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Infinite voltage adjustment, multi input voltage. I have an older hobart handler 215 and it has seven steps for power adjustment. For thin stuff better to have a dial adjustment. Also mine only works w 220v new ones can have 110 or220.

Get a model that can run an aluminum spool gun. Some older models can run one but that cost more than the welder. I would suggest Hobart for cost. They are owned by Miller. eBay is the best place to buy anything welding. I know the whole shop local thing but local also needs to learn how to compete against online. Good luck! I am saving to get mine. Most things I need or want to make for home that are not mini bike are going to be better out of aluminum. Trailer, kayak rack, ect.

1/2 inch plate puts you into a pretty hefty unit!
I'm partial to Lincoln and like the dual input powers for flexibility, but dual power units typically only will do up to 3/8 material. The 210 MP will do stick, TIG, MIG.

1/2 inch plate puts you into a pretty hefty unit!
I'm partial to Lincoln and like the dual input powers for flexibility, but dual power units typically only will do up to 3/8 material. The 210 MP will do stick, TIG, MIG.
I currently have an arc welder so I'm alright there, haven't done any TIG but would like to try it, seems like that is the way to go for anything real nice.

Get a model that can run an aluminum spool gun. Some older models can run one but that cost more than the welder. I would suggest Hobart for cost. They are owned by Miller. eBay is the best place to buy anything welding. I know the whole shop local thing but local also needs to learn how to compete against online. Good luck! I am saving to get mine. Most things I need or want to make for home that are not mini bike are going to be better out of aluminum. Trailer, kayak rack, ect.
Didn't realize Hobart was made by Miller, I will have to look at those, they are much more affordable new.

Infinite voltage adjustment, multi input voltage. I have an older hobart handler 215 and it has seven steps for power adjustment. For thin stuff better to have a dial adjustment. Also mine only works w 220v new ones can have 110 or220.
I'm planning on doing some patch panels so a dial would be good, I have 220 power so that's alright but a 110 would maybe be alright too.

One thing to be aware of..... And you will need an experienced and honest sales guy at the welding shop to be told this. A 250 amp Mig does not like .023 wire. I have been told this by the Miller Rep and a good friend that has been selling welding supplies for 45 years. I have a Miller 251 and it will not run .023. It WILL run .030, .035 and .045 for 1/2 inch in a single pass. Also keep in mind that you have one size liner for .045 and a smaller liner for .030 & .035. So when you change wire size you have to change the liner. I have a Miller 140 Auto Set that I absolutely love! It is the best choice I have made for a Mig. It welds upside down just as smooth and easy with the auto set as it will right side up. I also own 2 Lincoln SP 160's that just sit in the corner collecting dust because the combination of the 251 and the 140 just do everything I want to do. If it gets big then I break out my Miller 250 AC/DC If it is thick and aluminum I fire up my antique Lincoln 300 amp AC/DC Tig with the water cooled torch..... A Miller 212 is a good middle of the road machine. I have a friend that bought one on my suggestion and he and I both use it a lot. Dual voltage up to 3/8's in a single pass. Runs .023 with no troubles and it is compact enough to take out in the field and run off of a generator if needed. There is no "one machine" that does it all. The industry is closer to it happening than it has ever been but its not there yet. Spend some time talking to the guys at the welding supply house and learn what you can before you buy. Then go on line and buy what you want. Save some money. Jody on Welding Tips and Tricks .com has a lot of reviews of different machines that he is sent to demonstrate. He is a retired air craft welder / welding instructor. Lots of good info for free there. I restore cars and do a lot of fabrication. I build smokers out of 1/2 inch wall pipe. Man do they cook good too.

Last edited:
Thanks Fomogo will look into it more. I do like the Miller welders since that is mainly what I have used. Initially I was thinking of a 250 but maybe I could go a bit smaller since I do have an Arc welder for thicker material.

I've used Millers and Lincolns at work for 30 years. Both good. We Weld Hollow metal Frames which are 16 gauge. .035 is good for my needs at work and for my mini bike projects. The dial for voltage is a Nice feature. Run an Argon mix bottle, way better than inner shield no gas.

I've used Millers and Lincolns at work for 30 years. Both good. We Weld Hollow metal Frames which are 16 gauge. .035 is good for my needs at work and for my mini bike projects. The dial for voltage is a Nice feature. Run an Argon mix bottle, way better than inner shield no gas.
Good to know on wire size, and also I was planning on running argon gas, not flux cored.

For MIG, a CO2/Argon mix works better than straight Argon.
At least this has been my experience. I used to use Airgas's "triple mix" with great results.
For MIG I prefer a Miller machine, 251 or 252 for 1/2" plate.
I own two Hobart wire feeders, one is set up for flux core wire and the other is set up with reg wire and gas. Great machines.

Clayton, what arc welder do you have? Not to change the subject, but have you considered buying a tig rig off eBay for $100-$200'ish? That, a bottle and consumables would get you started.

Hey everyone, looking at buying a MIG welder and not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I've used a few different brands at work: Miller, Lincoln, Esab. I'm not really partial to one. I'd like to get a 250 since I do enough welding and weld heavier material up to 1/2" plate. Is there any specific features I should be looking for? Or brands/models that really stand out over another? I'll likely be buying a used welder, so is there anything to watch for when looking at them?

Thanks in advance.

Clayon, did you ever get you a Mig? If so what did you get? Just being curious/nosey.....