What to look for in a used Tecumseh engine for mini bike use?

Besides completeness and mechanical issues what do I need? Seems to me the only issues I can think of are a crank that will fit the clutch and a carb that can be throttle controlled. Any suggestions?

capguncowboy

I wouldn't worry too much about the carb. You can get a Chinese knockoff for cheap and so far I've had good luck with them.

Compression and spark would be my biggest concerns, besides the obvious blown crankcase.

I wouldn't worry too much about the carb. You can get a Chinese knockoff for cheap and so far I've had good luck with them.

Compression and spark would be my biggest concerns, besides the obvious blown crankcase.

Same here on the Chinese carbs I bought one for the tiller and it works as it should :). What about crankshaft diameter for the clutch, are they a standard size or should I shop for a specific size crank? Thanks for the reply :cool:

Hello Dog Walker.

For the crank, you'd want either 3/4 or 5/8 diameter...with a key way notch.

Regarding mini bike specific, I've learned from @markus and @cfh there were mini bike specific engine models with specific attributes devoted to only mini bikes. The threads are very interesting. Perhaps they can point us to their threads.

And for just a rider, those China carbs are great (imo)...did one on an hs40 bird war eagle, one on a 6.5 predator boonie, and another on a 6.5 predator generator, all seemed plug and play.

Whereas I spent the extra money for an OEM carb for my Super Bronc 8 hp tecumseh.

Last edited:

DaddyJohn

Hello Dog Walker.

For the crank, you'd want either 3/4 or 5/8 diameter...with a key way notch.
This is true. One anomaly you might find (esp. on snow blowers) are 4-5hp engines with a 1" shaft, or ones with a counter-rotating half shaft (basically and extension of the cam that protrudes through the side case. The only issue with the 1" shaft is your minimum number of front sprocket teeth goes up on the available clutches. On the ones with two PTO shafts, you can cut the one short.

, where does one buy that throttle piece? Good post :cool:
You can still get the factory ones new for about $17 shipped.

I could be wrong but the available factory new ones are the last style used on the later 70's small frame. OldMiniBikes carries those.
I guest it all depends on the year DW is trying to replicate. There was actually a version after the ones I make and the latest version
which had a very large diameter head on the pin holding the assembly together and a curved throttle cable arm to hold the barrel.
I think they were used in mid to late 72 or so. Not sure when they switched to the last version. Maybe around 73-74?? I am sure
Markus would know.
Regards.
Joe51

PatrickCraik

If you have no luck here,or if anybody else might want one. Visit your local lawnmower shop or look online. They might still be available. I used the supplied return spring and mounting screws on something else. It comes complete

Attachments