What would you do different next time? Add yours.

I know we all look at a project and think,"If I had it to do over I would do,,,," What? Add yours.
For me on the "Jimmy Gote" I think I would plan on removing the gas tank, air filter and exhaust and use or make new ones. With a 13 horse I had a height issue. The stock motor was so high that to keep seat height low enough I gave up ground clearance. Plus I dam near need K-Y Jelly to get the motor in the frame. I also would give more room for the jack shaft. Where I have enough, another couple inches would have made life easier. My system for the rear wheel worked slick, until you have to remove it. The set screws dings make it a bear to remove, as at some point rust. I used 1 1/4 square tubing .120 wall. Easy to work with and weld, but I think way over kill. I think 1" would have been plenty and lighter wall thickness for places that are not prone to heavy stresses. Like top rail, angle braces, fork swingarm, etc. This thing is a heavy bike, lots of power so it works very well, but a diet would not hurt it any. I used pillow/flange bearings. Easy to buy, mount, cheap. Messy. When you lube them grease oozes out and flys all over. I may have over lubed for sure, but the oozing grease will always be an issue. Where I have had no issues yet with the torque converter, I think next time I will use a series 40 or 44. After playing with the 30 for a while I just think it is marginal for a motor of this size. Something I would look into would be narrower and taller tires. The 11" I used on the rear means I had to build a wide frame that is crowded in the wheel well. All works, but getting everything lined up is time consuming. As it is I have 12" between the frame rails. And to all you out there that told me to put a rear swingarm on,,you were right. I would put rear suspension on if I do it again. But I am glad for my first build I did not, just to keep it simple. Since this is a utility bike, I would, and may add more accessories. Make it so the rear rack comes off and a passenger seat goes on, removable saddle bags (ammo cans). If the generator can handle it, still not sure of the output, I will add a 12 volt plug for electric clothing or GPS, etc. Maybe a rifle rack/holder, tho I hunt with a handgun, so not a biggy at this time. And some place/means for a tool kit.

I'm get tired just reading this build..:laugh: ..it'll be good when your done..or,you will learn more modifing it:thumbsup:

I'm get tired just reading this build..:laugh: ..it'll be good when your done..or,you will learn more modifing it:thumbsup:
Sorry if I'm boring ya! lol. I just figured I can't be the only one that learns after the fact. I haven't seen two bikes built the same way yet so others must be learning on the fly.

I can tell you this is the reason I never finish anything. Just as it’s about complete, I see something I want to change and tear it apart! Great thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can tell you this is the reason I never finish anything. Just as it’s about complete, I see something I want to change and tear it apart! Great thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's been a problem for me too. But wanting to have this ready for my Oct hunt has got me to decide,, will it work like this? If yes, weld it. I am already thinking about my next one. This is like some kind of drug isn't it?

It's not a drug Jim, it's more like a sickness that needs a drug. The last time I heard, there is no cure. Have fun with it man, you can't beat it anyway.