What's the diff between a gilson and allis chalmers.

What was the difference between a gilson and a allis chalmers bike? They look the same. Was it just the decal set or were there different variants between each bike.

Gilson built bikes and they were sold/labeled under a few names. Montgomery Wards is another one.

Only difference I really know of is the swing arm on the non gilson bikes is said to be a bit shorter than the gilson bikes. Somebody else will have to chime in on any other details.

Gilson built bikes and they were sold/labeled under a few names. Montgomery Wards is another one.

Only difference I really know of is the swing arm on the non gilson bikes is said to be a bit shorter than the gilson bikes.
There are two lengths of swing arms, long and short. Depends on if it has 6" wheels or 10" wheels.

There were several different models in the Gilson lineup, as well as the Allis Chalmers bikes. All Allis bikes I've seen have a plate welded between the front downtubes, however a buddy of mine has a 10" wheeled Montgomery Wards bike that also has that plate.

So if I had a gilson with no plate, I could weld one in, get the allis chalmers decal set, and have a allis chalmers bike
Not really. You'd have a "clone", or a "tribute", I'd call it a fake. That's like stuffing a 454 in grandmas 6 cylinder Malibu and calling it an SS.

All Allis bikes have a serial number plate, so you'd have to come up with one of those plus there are several models and the current decals that are available only cover one of them.

Plus, don't forget the plate doesn't necessarily mean it's an Allis.

I hear ya. I have two originals, both were 10" wheeled versions but I swapped some parts with another Gilson to make my own 6" one.

I'm pretty sure the serial plate is just a foil decal.

Ok so I could obtain that from the atc70decals.com decal se, awesome. Another question I have is on the shocks. The shocks on this bike I can't seem to find any other photo that matches up on placement. FB_IMG_1470839415342.jpg

I'm interested in this plate, you have any pictures of one.

Oh and the real malibu ss I had never had a 454, came factory with a 396. Some of them also had different options and the post 70 models could have had something else. Sorry, I'm a chevelle nut (nova too).