Whats the extra tag on Tecumseh ?

I have several Tecumseh engines. This one however has a second tag bolted to the sump cover. Not sure what it is. Any info would be cool.

capguncowboy

Some engines had these tags as an alternative to the stamped shroud or standard serial plates. However, if you blew your engine and the dealer ordered a replacement, they'd only order a shortblock (all of the internals, but the head, flywheel, stater, and blower housing were missing). These shortblocks had a little aluminum tag bolted to the engine block, usually on one of the top sump cover bolts. They'd transfer all the other parts from the original engine and you'd be all set with a "newish" engine.

Last edited:
I was told by relative the motor was original to mini that he bought from Penny's catalog. He said it was a very cheap bike.
But if it was a swap it explains the two serials on the motor.
People do forget history. So who knows.
Could it be possible the bike manufacture purchased Tec extra inventory to sell on their bikes?

Early HS50 had that tag from factory. I have a couple like that. The shroud was never stamped just a small piece of aluminum stamped and put on side of motor. It should read just like a big tag on side of a HS40. 74 numbers were stamped in shroud

markus

I was told by relative the motor was original to mini that he bought from Penny's catalog. He said it was a very cheap bike.
But if it was a swap it explains the two serials on the motor.
People do forget history. So who knows.
Could it be possible the bike manufacture purchased Tec extra inventory to sell on their bikes?
its doubtful it left Tecumseh factory like that, could have been damaged in shipment, or assembly etc. if it came from Penney's, or drop shipped from the bike manufacturer, to the customer like that. Or it was brought in for warranty repair and the shortblock was replaced. if the date code on the tag is real close in comparison to the original engine date code.

Last edited:
SBH is the giveaway to me...Short Block Horizontal. IIRC the pre 73 OEM tags had the model and serial numbers on them just like the shrouds. I could be wrong though.

markus

So would the block be 2.5 hp? Like the number 25E in the tag. Shroud tag is h30. Did the short blocks only come in 3.5 hp?
Treat the SBH-25E number just like you would a standard engine number, its just a code/part number Like the H30-XXXXXX number is for parts listings. It will bring up the exploded view/parts listings that came in that particular short block. so if your were going to do any work internally you need to rely on the SBH parts listings for the parts. My book shows smaller bore block numbers in the H25-35 in the "Lauson short blocks" section so yes there were "SBH" engines available with the smaller bore that the H30 (and H25) used, just might not have been as readily available at the time that engine failed.

Its a short block tag, they come on all replacement short blocks. I have two 73 HS50 engines with ID tag that are not short blocks
Correct answer^^^^^^^
The first 2 letters are "SB" which translates to "Short Block"
Source: Tecumseh 3 to 11 HP 4-Cycle L-Head Engines Manual, Page 2
Michael