Wheel Bearing Conundrum

Looking at a hub here it measures 1-1/4" ID. A 1-1/4 OD bearing is not a typical find. It appears someone has used a flange-less style off-shore bearing in this hub and it fits slightly loose. Hub does have a seat however. Question, who supplies 5/8 x 1-1/4 "quality" wheel ball bearings in this size and, second, is staking it in better than goobering it up with JB Weld?

i use spray paint can or soda can metal to shim stuff like that. if you pinch some extra material in the back of the bearing itll hold it in without a flange

caver- the "correct" size doesn't fit so nicely. Comical? I guess Loctite 609 is a fictitious product? Furthermore, your ebay link is for a wheelchair application. This is most likely the reason the one bearing I hold now is shot. I am seeking precision...

caver- the "correct" size doesn't fit so nicely. Comical? I guess Loctite 609 is a fictitious product? Furthermore, your ebay link is for a wheelchair application. This is most likely the reason the one bearing I hold now is shot. I am seeking precision...
Pretty common affliction with 50 year old mini bike wheels. I've both staked and shimmed. I've found staking works when it's real close to the original size, but shimming works better when it's looser. (If that makes any sense) ACE sells some thin strips of various steel alloys in the hobby section. I used one that was .010 (thickness is listed) and cut it down to fit. Worked great, and a little more robust than a beer can....er...throttle clamp spacer. :) I don't overlap the ends and so far one wrap has been enough.

There are other high tech ways to fix wheels involving lathes- a few posts here somewhere on that.

(Comical is someone who doesn't know what you're talking about calling you comical)

control4userguy,
Dave's post is spot on (no surprise). On an old bike, even with the correct size bearing you may end up with a loose fit. You want the bearing to be only a "snug" fit that requires a LITTLE bit of force to tap it in GENTLY with a wood dowel/block, so that the bearing does not fall out or turn in the hub. One technique we have used is metal tape (purchased at our local Ace Hardware). You can cut it into a thin strip and wrap it around the OD of the bearing.It usually takes only one wrap with no overlap. We have done this on numerous bikes with very good results.
Michael