Wheel bearings fit a little loose

1970 Rupp Roadster-
Installing some new wheel bearings and notice that they drop in a little TOO easy into the hubs. I am used to having a nice (lightly) press fit, so they do not rotate in the hubs. What are some techniques you use to snug them up a bit?
Michael

Last edited:
Aluminum foil or foil tape for duct work has worked for me in some cases, best with aluminum wheels. Acts like a shim and you can build layers if needed.

If they're too loose in the hub bore they could move around, if there's room, take a prick punch and dimple a few spots in the bore, see if that works for you.................................Tom.

I don't think the dimple method is the best way to go on spoke wheels, but I'd be all over a bit of metal tape or folded beer can aluminum.

As long as the bearing doesn't bounce around in the case, it shouldn't matter, since it will spin on the bearing surface way before it spins within the case. If it spins within the case, the bearing would be bad, real bad, damn bad.

Then there's JB weld, a light coat around the bearing. It's one of the original uses for the stuff. Cleans right out too, with a wire brush attachment in your drill. :drinkup:

Ding Ding

Interesting. I too have this issue and was just trying to resolve it last night. It's not bad, but there is about 1/8" of play in my front wheel because of it. Perhaps I will try to fill that gap with JB weld, but I would prefer something like the metal tape.

I had a set of Go Powers off my Bonanza the bearings where real bad and the bearings had anywhere from .010 or so clearance to 1/16 or more in the wheel. In this case the only thing to do is machine the wheel and press a steel sleeve in the wheel. If the clearance is more than a few thousands loctite won't work well jb being thicker would work to a point. Shimming with metal tape has never worked well for me it's a short term fix at best ken

LOL, OP describes gap as "a little to easily," not in fractions of an inch. That is a huge difference in repair methodology.

Also see LocTite 638.

Ken, here's a post where KKK illustrates your technique which is indeed a proper, permanent repair. I imagine you're putting a lot more speed and loading on the kart wheels than these Rupps will see.

To provide a bit more information and perspective:
The bearing will drop into the hub bearing holder very easily, and you CAN rotate it once it is inside the bore. Side to side play is just barely perceptible. I would "quesstimate" it at a few thousandths of an inch- maybe a little more.
Thank you very much for the replies so far- it has given me direction.
Michael

george3

I have never tried the foil tape. I use shim material I have small rolls of different thicknesses. I have tried the center punch in the bearing bore but it is only a waste of time and short term fix.

To those that have used the 'foil tape method":
Are you wrapping it around the outside of the BEARING or the inside of the wheel hub BORE?
Michael

chrisr

I wrap the bearing and just add/delete as needed to give a good fit. The tight black tape or duck tape method works well as well.

To those that have used the 'foil tape method":
Are you wrapping it around the outside of the BEARING or the inside of the wheel hub BORE?
Michael

UPDATE:
I used the "metal tape method" today with good success! It only took ONE complete wrap around the bearings to get that nice snug (tap in with a wood block) fit.
Thanks again to all for the help.
Michael

Loc-tite Bearing mount works well too.
Yes, I did some research and saw that Loc-tite makes products just for this application (Loc-Tite 609, Loc-tite 620, etc.). We will see how the metal tape holds up with time and use. If it fails I'll try the Loc-tite.
Thank you for your reply.
Michael