Wheel Bearings, Special Sizing Question…

DaddyJohn

Does anyone know of an inexpensive bearing option to use to mount a vintage-style wheel (with 1-3/8” center hole) to a newer-style (Chinese) mini bike with 12mm axles?

Essentially, this would be a 12mm ID by 35mm OD by probably 10-11mm thick bearing, though the thickness isn’t really important. A flanged style would be even better!

Typically, one would use a 6202 bearing for a 1-3/8” wheel center, and that uses a 5/8” axle. Since I have a 12mm axle, that’s too big on the ID. A typical bearing for a 12mm axle is a 6201, but that’s too small on the OD. Kinda need a “combo bearing” here. This will be to mount a vintage wheel to my Chinese DB30. Plan B is to drill out the fork hole, but I prefer not to weaken the part.

Last edited:

Triley41395

Does anyone know of an inexpensive bearing option to use to mount a vintage-style wheel (with 1-3/8” center bike) to a newer-style (Chinese) mini bike with 12mm axles?

Essentially, this would be a 12mm ID by 35mm OD by probably 10-11mm thick, though the thickness isn’t really important. A flanged style would be even better!

Typically, one would use a 6202 bearing for a 1-3/8” wheel center, and that uses a 5/8” axle. Since I have a 12mm axle, that’s too big on the ID. A typical bearing for a 12mm axle is a 6201, but that’s too small on the OD. Kinda need a “combo bearing” here. This will be to mount a vintage wheel to my Chinese DB30. Plan B is to drill out the fork hole, but I prefer not to weaken the part.
I have not looked to see if they make one but 1 3/8 x 1/ 2 bearing should work if I'm reading it correctly.

DaddyJohn

That’s a good idea, though it does leave about .03” of extra diametrical clearance. That may or may not be noticeable, but would be hard to tell without trying it.

I guess yet another option is to use those bearings and use a 1/2” axle. It wouldn’t be as big a hole enlargement as using the typical 5/8” unit.

Last edited:
With a spacer tube between the bearings you will be able to tighten the axle without putting compression strain on the bearings. The wheel bearings will stay in place on the axle bolt.

markus

I saw that, and it looks perfect. However, I became a bit leery when I saw them advertised as 6202 bearings (which have a 15mm ID). Probably not going to risk getting actual 6202 bearings… I think the solution I’m going with is using a 1/2” axle bolt and upsizing the holes in the fork ever so slightly.
whatever, they are conversion bearings to go from 15 to 12mm axles for pit bikes and are non standard, they sell them all over ebay for that, can even find them with inner axle spacers/kits . this is a time when you dont want to go off the 6202 number.

DaddyJohn

Interesting. Still, looks like I can save a dollar or two by doing a 1/2” axle conversion, being that the roached-out Doodlebug I’m putting my scrap riding mower wheel on didn’t come with an axle either.