Wheel spacers

What are some of the things you are using as wheel spacers? I know I can order some form OldMiniBikes, but exact size may be an issues and I really don't like paying more for shipping than the product I'm buying.

I would start with a dial caliper and determine what is needed. Then read the tubing dimension charts on-line, I use Alro Steel. Then make what I need. I’m guessing no metal lathe is available. Given no lathe, a trip to a hardware- big box might yield some possibilities in tube and pipe. There are pull-out drawers full of bushings in good hardware stores as well. Bring your calipers and notes.
Hope this helps,
Steve

Measure the diameter of the axel you are using and get your self some DOM tubing. (check the I.d) Cut the size you need with a chop saw. I usually can get the spacers that OldMiniBikes sells to work.

1/2" black gas pipe, cut with a pipe cutter to length .Ream with a good metal drill bit just proud of 5/8". 10 feet available most anywhere for less than $12 ,enough for 60 2" spacers. Shorter lengths are also available.

I74

Spacers cut from seamless chrome motorcycle handle bars work really well.
Used to make those up for custom wide glide conversions on HD choppers back in the day.
Most bars are 7/8 or 1'' O.D.
You can figure the I.D.'s probably 5/8 - 3/4, depending on the manufacture ect.

Good ideas, all. Yeah, it's 5/8 axles. I didn't think the black gas pipe would be hard enough, but, I guess, with a washer on either end, it should be just fine. I have the tools to handle that stuff. Thanks

I74

Good ideas, all. Yeah, it's 5/8 axles. I didn't think the black gas pipe would be hard enough, but, I guess, with a washer on either end, it should be just fine. I have the tools to handle that stuff. Thanks
Tapering the ends of the spacers so that the spacer only contacts the I.D. race of the bearing works also.
You would want to be fairly precise in doing so though ...
Can also use washers or shims, ''or both'',, as long as the O.D. just contacts the I.D. bearing race.
Handle bars can be found a lot of times @ salvage yards ect. for pretty cheap.
Ian

Galvanized and black pipe are kind of welded and the process leaves a small ridge on the inside that you might have to clean-up. I’m not sure why it wouldn’t be tough enough, or that the axle assembly would have to be that tight.
It helps me to remember the difference between tubing and pipe, and go from there.
The spacers I have made from pipe have turned-out just fine. I’m sure yours will as well.

I recently bought some DOM tubing from onlinemetals.com to use for wheel spacers. It was only $20 shipped for a foot of each size I needed (I'm running different size front/rear axles). They shipped it UPS Next Day Air as well. I have no idea how they didn't lose money on me.

What are some of the things you are using as wheel spacers? I know I can order some form OldMiniBikes, but exact size may be an issues and I really don't like paying more for shipping than the product I'm buying.
If your project requires some/ an unobtanium-sized spacer(s), you can PM me.

Thanks SAT. It looks like 1 7/8 inch for the front. The project is my Trail Horse and I just bought some Azusa 5 spoke wheels for it. It doesn't look like anything is going to be too unusual.