Where do you cool guys get your cool wheels?

I’ve seen picture of wheels that some of the custom builders use and I can’t find anything like them. Usually they’re nice aluminum rims with wide slicks or spoked wheels. I’m thinking these wheels and tire combinations are probably actually made for some other equipment.

mustangfrank

I’ve seen picture of wheels that some of the custom builders use and I can’t find anything like them. Usually they’re nice aluminum rims with wide slicks or spoked wheels. I’m thinking these wheels and tire combinations are probably actually made for some other equipment.
I lost my emoticon with the smiley holding a sign that read "this thread is useless without pictures"

:)

Harquebus

Are you thinking of Azusa aluminum rims?

The ever popular Tri-Star:

Azusa "Astro" {looks like miniature Cragar Super Sports}:

Azusa "Spinner" wheel, 8 inch:

10" Steel "Ten-Incher" wheel:

Hope this narrows it down, or checks a few "off the list"...

The AZ wheels can be bought at OldMiniBikes and GoPowerSport ect. I can find those pretty easy. I can’t find the example I’m thinking about but the guy builds mini bike size trikes and he always has the coolest rims on his stuff. He's always got solid dished kart racing wheels on the back and then something terribly expensive looking, over the top cool on the front. Maybe I’ve seen videos on YouTub? Then there’s the Hoosier tires. Here some examples. Where I live there’s no place to go and look and eBay is kind of a gamble when I can’t hold what I’m buying beforehand.

Attachments

There they are! Thanks Ole4, I knew you guys would come through if I could just figure out how to tell you what I wanted. Wheels and tire sizes sometimes make my eyes roll back in my head! ‍

The 6" dia. astros on my Fimco came from OldMiniBikes Whse. I like the look.

Yep Tom they look good! My first vintage mini bike was a Femco Little Butch chopper. I actually found the correct NOS Tecumseh engine for it a few months ago locally. I’ve got $140 in it so far. $70 for the roller frame and $70 for the engine. Did Fimco call all there mini bikes Little Butch? When I googled Fimco Little Butch it seemed like everything was the same name. Oh, when I googled the name google asked me if I misspelled Butch. So that bike will for ever be Little Bitch!

Be aware that the Azusa "Tri-Stars" are known wobblers. You will really have to work with them (Read: shimming the rear sprocket and/or wheel halves) to get them to run true. The built in wobble from the factory (crappy quality control) really effects the rear sprocket/chain alignment and the drum brake from working properly- Just a head's up. I cannot speak for the other AZUSA wheels having problems, but the Tri-Stars I do have personal experience with as do many other members on this forum.
Michael

Last edited:
I'm running 10" Douglas Jr. Dragster wheels on the front of a 2 of my bikes. The rear on my drag bike is a 6x6 Van-K wheel for a kart.

The Douglas wheels run dead straight, which they should for what they cost. Same goes for the Van-K wheel. I did have one Van-K wheel that had a faulty weld that leaked though.

DWT wheels: https://dwtracing.com/product/jr-dr...tweight-dwt-douglas-wheel-rim-racing-spindle/

Van-K wheels: https://vankwheels.com/

I also had one of the 10" steel wheels on my CT200U for a short while (last pic). I pretty much hate those wheels. They're very heavy, mine didn't run true and getting the wheel together and tube in was a pain in the ass. Quality control on the finish on mine was sub-par as well. I would not recommend them.

Attachments

Last edited:
Here are some 8" pocket bike wheels. I have some that are nearly the same except they have six spokes instead of eight and they are painted black with machined (bare) rims and spoke faces. I think the six-spoke was an earlier design because I only see the eight-spoke these days. I prefer the appearance of the six-spoke but the eight looks pretty good, too. The tires are very low-profile, about 11.5" - 12" OD.

http://www.pocketbikesunlimited.com/R6WHEELS.html