Which early Honda Trail 50s are the most valueable?

I have a 68 K0 honda 50 and a 1972 Honda mini trail( front and rear suspension). I want to restore one of them and can make one good bike out of both of the bikes. Both still have matching number motors in them.
Are the hardtail 1968-69 more valuable then the later models?
I want to do a full resto, new chrome powder coated frame etc...

I have seen some sell for 2-3K on ebay in the past. This one looks really nice. Mine is an original blue and white just like this one but its been beat. Im leaning more toward redoing the 1968 since they only made them 3 years. I figure I can sell the parts from the 74 i have and probably make back what I paid for both of the bikes....

If you plan to resto them for a profit just about all the work will have to be done by you.

There are plenty of sites out there to help you

I wouldnt do it just to turn a buck but if you truly love those little bikes then you'll do just fine because restoring it will be a pleasure not a burden.

Neck

Growing up is optional
There was a Guy selling three 1969 k-1's at the long Beach Ca. swap meet, one each of yellow,red and blue. The yellow and red ones were excellent condition and he wanted 3500 and 4500 respectively, and the blue one was a total resto, which he wanted $5500.00 for, I have seen another blue K-1 sell for $5500.00 and promptly get shipped back to Japan, but that was in better times. Ultimately the K-1's with all the lights seem to fetch the highest prices. Personally I like the K-0's, but I'm not willing to pay more than $500 for one that's just complete, runs, and is in need of some restoration. I'd rather do the resto work myself.

Clyde

I have a 74' Z50.
In 2011, how the Hell is an old Honda Trail still getting $2-3K when a brand new Ruckus or Yamaha C3 sell for less.:shrug:

You want to ride it, or hang it on a wall next to a Picasso?

I say, preserve BOTH. Do what you can to get both running. Buff , polish, mend, enough to make em' solid and ride-able. I like a bike that fricken' runs. A real Restoration is 9 out of 10 times a "Labor of Love" that doesn't really pay the hours and money put into it. Too many guys begin to do a fancy "restoration" and are afraid to ride it when (if) done. Big learning curve.
Geeez.... it's a bike not a piece of antique furniture.

When economic times improve, those bikes will still be super candidates for some big buck Japanese "restoration" buyer. If economy takes longer to revive, you are not an instant $$$ loser.
Worst thing about any restoration is not finishing it.... and most guys won't finish before they run out of cash.:wink:

That said: whatever you do ... I personally like the older the better ... 1968 would be my first "experiment" in sweat and money. I would hesitate to cannibalize the 72'.

toomanytoys

They are worth what someone wants to pay for childhood memories. I learned to shift on a72 trail 70 but I wont pay 1200 for another. I did pay 259 for a wildfire knock off that actually runs good

markus

Hardtails are definitly the more lucitve Z50. Although I have never really followed the K0 values, they don't have lights so they don't attract the buyers as easily as K1-K2's would in my opinion. But it would make it easier far as resto goes, just remember that correct nuts, bolts, grips, levers, etc... make a BIG difference in value of these. Even if you are just doing a good clean up, don't go tot he hardware store and replace crusty hardware, clean it, polish it, have zinc coated... Also the hardtail was made for a few years. they're are ALOT of differences and keeping it true to the model it is can be important. If your bike is pretty complete already, it should not be to difficult.

I have a had a few z50 hardtails (K2's mainly) in the past and I currently have an original K1 thats needing a going through, I have always made money off them and I have had alot people contact me wanting my current bike.

I've watched a few softails, sit idle for sale and prices get lowered. They are a real nice riding little bike, reliable, and tough to. But they just dont have the following. they probably will though, as the hardtails increasingly go out of reach people will start saying "hey that K3 isn't so bad and is half the price" :thumbsup:

Good luck, and have fun