Who has the best after market Carbs?

I was given a new 2004 CHICOM 20" ballon tire'd 5.5 HP Pep Boys mini-bike. This is one of the FAT BOY type bikes.
The engine will not run unless the choke is partially left on. Since the choke is held in position by friction on the plastic air cleaned slot, it vibrates to full open or fully on, either way the engine dies and is very hard to restart. Adjusting the jets does not seem to help. I am at 7,000 feet.
I'd like to replace the carb with another one/type that will work.
If I need to replace the engine, I will do so. It looks to be very much like the Greyhound type engine but marked with a Chinese name instead.
I can get engine data later as I'm on the road.

Thank you for the link.
My engine is a 5.5 HP Jiangdong JF 188. Is it a Honda clone? If so which Honda model? I'm not up on the clones. Thank you for any help.

Gx160 clone
A 22mm mikuni bolts up with an adapter. Depends if you want to spend that much, and play with jets and such. It is not worth it on a stock motor. Power is only noticed further up in the power band, i think ots the same with any larger carbs on these motors.

However if you are going to be removing the governor, that is a different matter.

If you wanted to leave the governor in for durability and safety, I have a stock genuine Honda gx160 carb in like new condition I could sell you if you wanted. This is basically the same as the carb on your motor except higher quality.

Last edited:
A GX200 carb real or clone will bolt on there and its actualy a bit larger.
So if its your carb that's causing you grief and you can localy source any other carb from the 160 or 200 family then by all means give it a shot.

Preditor carb even....

Next you lean.
First thing you shoudl do is take the carb apart and look to see if there is problem.
Dirt float set too low ect.
Then you can try some modifications if you like and see if you can improve it.

Good luck
2004 carb should have an air screw you can adjust.
If nothing else keep that screw so you can recycle it into a newer hardder to adjust carb down the raod.