Who's your Carb Jet & Needle dealer?

Minimichael

I've taught myself a lot about slide carbs the last couple years ...learning some of their nuances and potential for throttle response and control. Finding a jet with a higher or lower number than the one you already have isn't exactly easy due to fitment issues, but jetting isn't the rocket science here. The holes are either bigger, or smaller. Jet needles on the other hand are more of a black art. Needles have fitment issues, like jets, but also taper issues, tip issues, diameter issues, clip position issues, and mid-point issues (aka: "L1"). Your average Mikuni carb can have dozens of different needle types made for it. And I've been selecting and purchasing particular needles for this one Nibbi PE24 carb I'm still tuning (which I've determined uses needles equivalent to the Keihin PWK28).

Still, needles are hard to research, and apparently even harder to find for sale. Try searching eBay for a certain carb's needle types and you'll generally only find a couple standard sizes by a few popular codes, ...or maybe just "needle fits VM22". That's been my experience anyway...

I found the JetsRus site to be organized and having the info one needs to navigate these matters. They have a good inventory. I've spent some money there. But alas now I'm arguing with them over a defective product they sent.

So yeah I'm getting really into needles, for Keihin PWK anyway, and as a matter of principle I have to shop for another vendor. Well last night I found Allens Performance. Their site is similarly well organized. It's also well stocked with the usual jets and other accessories, but also some pretty obscure needles even the other guy didn't have. Shipping costs seem really reasonable too. So stay tuned...

And that's all I've got for now. But chime in if you want to talk jets or needles!

Last edited:

Minimichael

Well it's been a month since I put in two orders with Allens. The $15 order arrived within 2 weeks...(a pair of grips). But the second order ($60 worth of carb needles, clips, washers and I forget what else) still isn't here. I've emailed as well as submitted messages directly thru their website, and ...crickets...(chirp chirp)..

So now I got beefs with jet & needle dealers on both sides of the Atlantic.

Minimichael

Would you believe I woke up to an email from them? The particular Keihin needle I wasn't happy with from jetsrus is on back order in the UK. Well at least it only took 5 weeks for their email to arrive..

@Minimichael I feel your pain! I bought jets from several aftermarket companies (non-OEM jets). As you say it's a bit of a crap shoot as to what you'll get. I measured a bunch of jets from various suppliers to compare them to OEM Mikuni's. Most of them weren't even close. Word to the wise: Stick with Mikuni jets or a single supplier or you will go insane trying to jet your carb.
While doing measurements I did find a non-OEM supplier that has jets that measure the same as the Mikuni OEM jets. I've emailed with them and they are very responsive. I asked if their jets flowed the same as OEM Mikuni's and they said YES. Confirming my measurements...They are well aware of the bad knock-off's out there. I've ordered from them 3x and typically have the parts in 7-9 days. I believe they are based in Hong Kong. They are listed on Ebay. The name of the company is autopower_us. Do a search on Ebay for autopower_us and they'll come up. They guarantee satisfaction and allow free returns. Prices are very low for Mikuni non-OEM jet kits. Well worth exploring if you want to save some $$. If you buy from them let us know how you make out.

Minimichael

I can't recommend Allen's Performance at this point. Slow and uncommunicative, at best. I finally got the second package from the UK ...right around the 2 month mark. Still, the one needle I'm looking for is on back order until at least who knows when. Hope it comes before Christmas ...

LIVIT

I dealt with similar issues doing R&D and consignment builds Radio control stuff.. Bad enough having a non responsive vendor on your personal stuff, but even worse when your dealing with a build for a customer. I'm going to be doing a slide carb on my Wildcat 223 for my new MB200S build. So this is interesting and informative for me. I was planning on using the WC22 that's made by EC carbs. It's a blueprinted slide type designed for use around the WC223. So now you have me wondering, if finding jets etc. for it, is going to be an issue !

This is the carb I'm talking about. Am I making a mistake buying it ? https://www.eccarburetors.com/Wildcat-WC22-26mm-Gas-Blueprinted-Slide-Carburetor-Kit_p_1990.html

Last edited:

Minimichael

I don't think you'll have a problem finding VM22 jets or what not. It's such a popular type that EC likely didn't stray too far from VM22 standards. I guess the only advice/ heads up I can give on the subject of clones like Chikuni (Chinese Mikuni knock-off) or even that EC brand is that they could use jets that are sized differently than the original Mikuni design. (It is "blue-printed" afterall, and maybe they built their 22 around what they felt are a better jet size/dimension. When you get it, you might want to measure the jet's head dimensions and thread pitch as compared to an actual Mikuni chart (which you can find on Jetsrus site).

My own dilemma involves a Keihin brand needle (which I've determined fits my NIBBI brand carb). And it's sort of an outlier on the needle chart anyway - insofar as it's very rich down low (low rpm) and doesn't change much up through it's taper degree til right about WOT. This is all because I'm determined to tune this big-mouthed "racing" carb onto a little 2hp engine. (Long story, here: https://oldminibikes.com/forum/inde...ure-briggs-61102-upgrades.176556/post-1297682)

The Jetsrus guy sent me a corroded Keihin needle to fill my order, and said they're all like that (they're not). I returned it on my dime (at his recommendation) and got crickets back...

I looked everywhere else and found Allens Performance had a similarly extensive catalog. I ordered the same needle ("GEH") from them and now I'm on back order.

Hard to believe that's all the Keihin needle stock on earth!

LIVIT

Tks Brother. I had a great talk with Tech at EC (Mark) They have a decent selection jet kit for that WC22 carb. He took the time, too explain everything I needed to know on the build I'm doing. I've found EC to be a good company to deal with. Call tech line, ask question and they will get back too you soon.

I can feel your frustration ! Tell me something comes corroded, I'm going to very quickly let someone know, very plainly what I think of that !!! Tks for the link, great thread. That's a nice mini and lots of very good info ! Goodluck in your search.